Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More VA11a crashes computer stuff  (Read 21097 times)

tonga15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
More VA11a crashes computer stuff
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:07:29 PM »

Hi all...
Anyone else have the problem of the entire computer crashing when VA11A is installed?? Just like the earlier post it also causes yellow exclamation marks to appera on about 5 or 6 other devices in device manager, including my sound card and CD/DVD drives. If I hadn't noticed that the error message was something about a missing ks.sys file from windows\system32\drivers folder it would have been a real bear to get everything going again, because system restore would refuse to restore the system to a previous restore point after that. I had to get the ks.sys file off of my other XP computer and reinstall it in that directory to get the computer to work again.
It crashed (I think) right at the time it was asking about the non Microsoft certified warning and then it would just reboot, halfway start up, and reboot again ad nauseum. It also tried to add some sound driver for some reason.

This is the 2nd VA11A unit I have tried - neither of which had the bad lot number on the sticker.

Any ideas x10?

Thanks

chamoloco

Re: More VA11a crashes computer stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 04:31:24 PM »

I am having the same problem!  I have tried to install it twice though... I was not as slick as to be able to figure out the ks.sys solution to my problems.  I had to reinstall the OS including software (not fun!).  I thought maybe it was related to my new dual core machine system being a windows media center system with the TV tuner.  I have a regular xp machine on which I will try the install, but have not had the opportunity to do so yet.  Looking forward to finding the workaround for this problem.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 06:47:33 AM »

I have the same problem. The moment VA 11a is plugged, computer crashes and blue screen comes on. with all kind of suggestions and starts dumping memory. A second VA11a is installed on another computer. It works for a while and then the computer freezes and have to reboot.
Others have had similar problems. How come X10 has not come up with XP compliant drivers?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 09:42:33 AM »

Hi Guys! the VA11A problem isn't anything new If you've done a search you've discovered this!
*Please read :*
Topic: Having X10 AHP Problems? Please Read This First!  (Read 8027 times)  
There is a link there to fix the VA11A problem your having!
You can't let Windows auto detect the driver for the VA11A as this causes al kinds of problems!
tonga15 The reboot problem your having is a windows startup and recovery setting to change this :
  • right click on MyComputer
  • then Properties
  • then Advanced
  • then click the Setting button under  Startup and Recovery
  • in the System Failure window uncheck Automaticaly Restart

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

salty

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 07:39:13 PM »

Tuicemen,
I have the same problem as previous poster ... as soon as the VA11A is plugged into a USB port my system crashes.  i.e. restarts, then crashes as Windows XP loads, then crashes, etc. etc.  This continues until the VA11A is removed.  I've been fortunate not to have any major damage, but have had to use System Restore on one occasion.  Am now very reluctant to keep experimenting/debugging.  BTW, the VA11A works fine on my older Windows 98SE PC but crashes my XP PC everytime.
I did check the information you posted but at appears to be 'driver not recognized/loaded properly' related.  Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 09:28:14 AM »

salty:
Sorry for the slow reply I was away for a week and it take me a while to catch up on all the posts!
Go into your windows hardware configuration check to see that you have no other videocapture devices enabled!
(AHP has issues with some ATI video cards as well doing a search may turn up the posts with the fixes!)
I have posted how to stop windows from restarting(crashing before) you need to do this step first!
    [li]Right click on "My Computer" [/li]
    [li]Then click "Properties" [/li]
    [li]Then click "Advanced"[/li]
    [li]Then click settings under "Startup and Recovery"[/li]
    [li]Under "Sytem failure" uncheck "Automaticaly restart"[/li]
    [li]Then Click "OK"[/li]
    [/list]
    [/size]
    Now plug in the VA11A and follow the instructions here: Topic: VA11A does not work  (Read 7144 times)
    Please Read Topic:
    General Forum Etiquette
    Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
    © Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.