Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: USB Hub  (Read 4811 times)

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
USB Hub
« on: October 07, 2006, 10:26:58 PM »

I know that it's not recommended that a USB cable be more that 16.5 feet (5 meters).
I also know that longer runs can be achieved through the use of Powered USB hubs.
In addition, I know that there is a device called a CAT5 EXTENDER ($99) that will let you run up to 150 feet. Too expensive for me.

Please don't tell me. "download the macros to it and then move it to where I want". Thank you.

Now for my question.
 ??? If I were to use a Powered USB hub to increase the distance of the CM15A from the computer, would this in any way affect it ?

I know that many of you are probably thinking "Why the &*%# doesn't he just try it himself".
Well friends, I have a little trouble crawling around under and behind my desk.
So, I was hoping that someone have already tried it and will post a reply.

Thanks
Jim

UPDATE: USB extenders are available for as little as $20.
I bought one and it has worked perfectly with no affect on the CM15A.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 12:40:05 PM by Duck69 »
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: USB Hub
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 06:26:52 AM »

Otis69,

I just recently (1 week ago) moved mine because of problems getting the security codes from window door sensors. It has improved my RF reception. Before I moved it the computer was between the CM15A and the units to the rear of the house.

CM15A - 3ft - Computer - 25ft - Back of house.

I added 2 10ft usb extention cables onto the 6ft one that came with the CM15A giving me a 26 foot extension and everything works fine from computer to CM15A. Big improvement with incoming RF from security sensors. I increased the reception even more when I added an external 1/2 wave antenna on the CM15A. I have a detached garage about 40 ft from the house and now pick up the security sensors on the garage doors.

I run all my RF X10 remotes through a V572AB unit and have transceived set to none in AHP. However the CM15A is needed to pick up the security RF.

A good USB extension cable can be a bit pricey but worth the money. I think mine was around $22 for each cable. In my opinion it is worth the crawl behind the desk, just be carefull cuz I like reading your posts.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 10:37:26 AM »

I got tired of going into the back of my home brew computer and added a 3.5" USB frame into the front of my cabinet. In my case the Motherboard had extra unused USB headers on it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 04:53:54 PM »

Otis69   I've yet to read a post from someone who has had problems doing this, many have posted excellent results! That doesn't mean you'll experiance the same results but the odds are in you favor! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

MitchB

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 08:14:23 PM »

Ok, so if $99 is too much, how about half that much? USB Extender: RJ45 Cable Extends To 150ft

I use these things all the time for my company (Pro A/V) where we exend smart board and touch panel USB interfaces.  I've paid as little as $36 from Cyberguys when the extenders are on sale.  And, CAT5 is plenty cheap enough.

BTW, I can personally praise this idea.  Even with line filters near the PC's, I still didn't have reliable control from the CM15a.  (Occasionally can't control certain lights.  The PC is not in the center of the house.)

Today I relocated the unit to the garage, where it's plugged in right next to the breaker panel.  From a power distribution point of view, this is obviously the most central location, and past testing proved much more reliable signal reception to the modules at the far end of the house when I've left the CM15a in the garage.  Since that worked so well, I put the USB extender and wiring it on my list of very annoying things to have to do (attic wiring - crawling in insulation).

So far, it works great!

[TTA Edit: Added description to LINK.]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 11:36:49 AM by TakeTheActive »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.