Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UM506 Universal Module Cold Weather  (Read 10001 times)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
UM506 Universal Module Cold Weather
« on: November 05, 2006, 08:52:45 PM »

Ever since the weather turned cold I have been having problems with the relay tips sticking closed. I use a pair of these modules on my garage door opener. When I pull the module and bring it inside and let it warm up for about 5 minutes or so it starts working and snaps back and forth with no problem. Put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes and no more snap and the tips are stuck closed again.

After disassembly and removing the cover off the relay switch assembly I found that when cold the nylon lever that lifts the contact arm would not move far enough to lift the contact arm to open the tips. After close inspection I found that the nylon arm has a small rib that runs from top to bottom on one side. This rib is located on the center body that is the pivot center of the lever. When it pivots back and forth it has to snap over a matching rib which is stationary (part of the relay body.)

Time will tell if this fix works but short term freezer tests look good right now.

I insert a small piece of folded up cardboard in the contact tips to hold them open. (while operating)
I lift out the pivot lever, it lifts straight up nothing holds it.
If you look at the center pivot area you will see a raised ridge running up and down the body on one side. I trimmed this ridge completely off so there is no contact with its matching ridge on the relay body.
Assembled and placed in freezer. Froze for 10 minutes, removed and the relay operated OK

The only thing that I can see this ridge or detent setup doing is that when the tips are open it will help stop the lever from slipping and causing the tips to close. This may happen if the unit is in an application where there is vibration.

(The lever and spring setup inside is over center and should stay in the open position with out to much problem)

If anyone else tries this please post back here and let us know how it works... or doesn't work.

As always I'm sure this will void the warranty so this mod or any mod is at the end users own risk.

I will have to monitor closely to see if I fixed it or made things worse some how.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: UM506 Universal Module Cold Weather
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 06:53:33 AM »

KDR,

Thanks for that usefull information.  ;D
I have been using two of the Universal Modules (UM506) for years. I had one located in an area that got cold in the winter but never below freezing so I have not experienced this problem. I have recently moved and have been concedering an application that would have required placing one of these units outside under my deck. Think I will reconsider this.  ;)

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 07:43:58 AM »

Jim...
I don't think the problem is with every unit. I have 4 of them and only had problems with 3. I am waiting for a sale to pop up and plan to get a couple more to have on hand. So far the little mod seems to be working.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 10:24:18 AM »

KDR: Thanks for that info as well. I was thinking about getting a SuperSockets (SR227) for my outside power for Christmas lights. But after reading this thread "Wall outlet module clicks but does not turn on ", and your UM observations with cold weather, I think I might pass on that idea. Definately Helpful to me.  ;)

I don't think these modules were made to be used in places where when the temperature RISES to -10C, it's called a heat wave.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 10:59:00 AM »

Quote from: Puck
I was thinking about getting a SuperSockets (SR227) for my outside power for Christmas lights

FWIW ...I have used a SuperSocket for several years outside to turn the heater for my pond on and off during the winter months without a problem. I live in western PA where the winters do get cold.  ;)
_ _ ...  ..._ _

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 11:32:35 AM »

...I don't think the problem is with every unit. I have 4 of them and only had problems with 3....
A 75% problem rate is nothing to be happy about.  :(
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.