Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Odd problems  (Read 13910 times)

sprocket

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Odd problems
« on: November 10, 2006, 07:09:52 PM »

I just installed three more wall switches for the kitchen and dining room, a total of 3 switches and an RR501 transceiver.

House Code: D
Main Light: D2
Overhead: D3
Dining Room: D4

Macro D9 ON: D2 50%, D3 50%, D4 50%
Macro D9 OFF: D2 OFF, D3 OFF, D4 OFF

When I control everything via a Slimline Controller (D2/D3/D4), everything is fine. When I control everything via the CM15a, everything is fine. So far, so good.

I have created 2 macros. "ON" which turns on all 3 lights and dim to 50% (D9 ON) and "OFF" which turns all lights off (D9 OFF) and changed the RR501 to the 9-16 range. When I control everything via the CM15a on the computer from the other side of the house, everything works fine. When I try to run the macro (D9 ON) from the Slimline Switch only the Main Kitchen light turns on, everything else stays off!? When I later turn them all on manually and issue "D9 OFF" on the slimline controller, all turn off.

I have a lot of X10 in the house and use 3 different house codes (C/D/E) for different parts of the house. Usually 1-8 is reserved for the modules and 9-16 for macros. Also I have a Slimline Controller at the entrance (housecode C) with a macro (C11) to turn on all kinds of lights in the house on different house codes. However, again, the overheads (D2) stay dark and the Dining Room (D4) fires up, dims to 0, fires up again and then dims again. Very weird.

Any suggestions?

[TTA Edit: Combine 2 consecutive posts.]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 10:21:51 PM by TakeTheActive »

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Odd problems
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 08:03:21 PM »

I have created 2 macros. "ON" which turns on all 3 lights and dim to 50% (D9 ON) and "OFF" which turns all lights off (D9 OFF) and changed the RR501 to the 9-16 range.

You can't select the unit code range on the RR501. You can only select to have it's built in appliance module respond to either Unit Code 1 or 9.

However, again, the overheads (D2) stay dark and the Dining Room (D4) fires up, dims to 0, fires up again and then dims again. Very weird.

From what you described, it sounds like your problems are occurring because your AHP Macros are being triggered by both RF (via CM15A) and PLC (via RR501). When using multiple back-to-back DIMMING commands, you might want to try a small delay between them (start with 1 second).

When I control everything via the CM15a, everything is fine.

If AHP & the CM15A are accessing your lights OK, why are you using a second Transceiver?

If the answer is remote range, then you would be better of relocating your CM15A (if possible).

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 08:38:54 PM »

What kind of wall switches are you using?

You may want to try this for your ON macro...
Fill in your own House/Unit codes

First House/Unit Code On
Delay 1 sec
First House/Unit Code Dim
Delay 3 Sec
Second House/Unit Code On
Delay 1 sec
Second House/Unit Code Dim
Delay 3 sec

and so on...

I found on my WS467 switches and my WS12A switches that if I issue a dim command and thats all, it would work some times and some times not. If I issue a ON command first, pause then issue the dim level I want, it worked 100% of the time.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 09:24:52 PM »

The one dim-able module I have played with ignored the brighten & dim commands if it was off.  I had to first issue an on command then brighten or dim.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 11:01:25 PM »

[Adding onto Puck's and KDR's replies]

I just installed three more wall switches for the kitchen and dining room, a total of 3 switches and an RR501 transceiver.

The more details you provide upfront, the better / more accurate the answer you'll receive.

As KDR stated, please list the names and model numbers of *ALL* the X10 equipment you believe is involved in your problem in your first post.

When I control everything via a Slimline Controller (D2/D3/D4), everything is fine. When I control everything via the CM15a, everything is fine. So far, so good.

For clarity, do you mean:

• When I attempt to control each light (D2/D3/D4) individually via the Slimline Controller OR the CM15A , each light independently works fine.

...changed the RR501 to the 9-16 range...

As Puck already mentioned, this only controls the UnitCode of the built-in Appliance Module.

I have created 2 macros. "ON" which turns on all 3 lights and dim to 50% (D9 ON) and "OFF" which turns all lights off (D9 OFF) and . When I control everything via the CM15a on the computer from the other side of the house, everything works fine.

Here's where I get confused. ?Everything?  What do you mean?

• The INDIVIDUAL commands *AND* the MACROs work fine?
  • Or JUST the INDIVIDUAL commands (D2/D3/D4)?

I believe that Puck may be on the right track with:

From what you described, it sounds like your problems are occurring because your AHP Macros are being triggered by both RF (via CM15A) and PLC (via RR501).

When I try to run the macro (D9 ON) from the Slimline Switch only the Main Kitchen light turns on, everything else stays off!? When I later turn them all on manually and issue "D9 OFF" on the slimline controller, all turn off.

I have a lot of X10 in the house and use 3 different house codes (C/D/E) for different parts of the house. Usually 1-8 is reserved for the modules and 9-16 for macros. Also I have a Slimline Controller at the entrance (housecode C) with a macro (C11) to turn on all kinds of lights in the house on different house codes. However, again, the overheads (D2) stay dark and the Dining Room (D4) fires up, dims to 0, fires up again and then dims again. Very weird.

Any suggestions?

Please keep us informed of your progress. :)

BTW, how long have you been using X10? Please INTRODUCE yourself to the "Community":

Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 11:17:24 PM »

...I found on my WS467 switches and my WS12A switches that if I issue a dim command and thats all, it would work some times and some times not. If I issue a ON command first, pause then issue the dim level I want, it worked 100% of the time.

The one dim-able module I have played with ignored the brighten & dim commands if it was off.  I had to first issue an on command then brighten or dim.

FWIW, my DIM commands have always worked *WITHOUT* an initial ON. This includes:

• TW523 controlled by a GWBasic program on an IBM XT
  • CM11A controlled by ActiveHome v1.32 on a Toshiba 430CDT/550CDT
  • CM15A controlled by ActiveHome Pro v3.204 on a Dell 4100

-Bill- (of BXVC) and KDR: I don't know if it matters but, are you using ABSOLUTE or RELATIVE DIMs?

-Bill- (of BXVC): "The one dim-able module I have played with..". Exactly how many YEARS have you been using X10? ::) :D

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 12:33:15 AM »

-Bill- (of BXVC) and KDR: I don't know if it matters but, are you using ABSOLUTE or RELATIVE DIMs?

Apparently from OFF, it doesn't. Well at least as far as the light goes... from AHP well that's another story.  ;)

When I tried Relative from OFF:
- according to the activity monitor, AHP sends the house & unit codes address then the DIM xx% Command
- The light module (in AHP) shows the light switch in the OFF position, and the DIM setting to off

When I tried Absolute from OFF:
- according to the activity monitor, AHP sends just the housecode address (not the unit code) then the DIM xx% Command
- The light module (in AHP) shows the light switch in the ON position, and the correct DIM setting

Two ways to get to the same light setting... two different final indications in AHP:D

sprocket

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 11:33:08 AM »

Here is my complete setup:

Housecode C:

Family Room (C)
Transceiver CM15A (C)
Wall Switch WS467 (C1)
Wall Switch WS467 (C2)
Lamp Module LM465 (C3)
Various Macros (C9-C16)
PalmPad Controller (C)

Staircase (C)
Lamp Module LM465 (C4)
EagleEye Motion Sensor (C4)

Living Room (C)
Lamp Module LM465 (C5)
Slimline Wall Controller (for Macros C14/C15/C16)

Housecode D:

Kitchen (D)
Transceiver RR501 (D)
Wall Switch WS467 (D2)
Wall Switch WS467 (D3)
Macros (D9-D15)
Slimline Wall Controller (for Macros D9/D10/D11)

Sunroom (D)
Lamp Module LM465 (D5)

Dining Room (D)
Wall Switch WS467 (D4)

Houscode E:

Bedroom #1 (E)
Transceiver RR501 (E)
Lamp Module LM465 (E2)
Lamp Module LM465 (E3)

Bedroom #2 (E)
Lamp Module LM465 (E4)

Hallway (E)
Eagle Eye Motion Sensor (E5)
Wall Switch WS467 (E5)

Bathroom (E)
Wall Switch WS467 (E6)

Everything works like a charm, EXCEPT the macros in the kitchen. The Slimline Controller works fine on D2-D4 to directly control the lights via the RR501 in the kitchen.

I have set up two "test" macros: D9 to turn on the D2-D4 lights and D10 to turn them all off. D10 works fine, D9 only turns on 1 out of the 3 wall switches. And, again, once I connect my computer to the CM15A and run macros via ActiveHome - no problem at all, works great! I am little at a loss here.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 11:56:02 AM »

Your setup certainly helps, thanks.

However, I want to be clear on something here:

And, again, once I connect my computer to the CM15A and run macros via ActiveHome - no problem at all, works great! I am little at a loss here.

Are you saying that when you press the MACRO button manually, all executes OK? Or when you change the MACROs to store on PC (instead of the CM15A) all is OK when triggered from the Slimline Wall Controller?

If it's the first one, then your problem is most likely MACRO trigger collisions. Maybe give the Slimline Wall Controller a unique housecode and change the address of the MACROS to match.

Still not sure why you are using so many Transceivers  ???

Houscode E:

Bedroom #1 (E)
Transceiver RR501 (E)
Lamp Module LM465 (E2)
Lamp Module LM465 (E3)

Bedroom #2 (E)
Lamp Module LM465 (E4)

Hallway (E)
Eagle Eye Motion Sensor (E5)
Wall Switch WS467 (E5)

Bathroom (E)
Wall Switch WS467 (E6)

Question: What happens if, while someone is in the bathroom at night, someone else manually turns on the Hallway light?  ;)

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 12:34:13 PM »

Here is my complete setup:

Thanks! That helps.

An aside observation: Are you aware that Motion Sensors use BaseAddress+1 for Dawn/Dusk control and only the ActiveEye MS16 allows it to be disabled without "surgery". (Affects C5 and E6)

---snip---
Housecode D:

Kitchen (D)
Transceiver RR501 (D)
Wall Switch WS467 (D2)
Wall Switch WS467 (D3)
Macros (D9-D15)
Slimline Wall Controller (for Macros D9/D10/D11)

Sunroom (D)
Lamp Module LM465 (D5)

Dining Room (D)
Wall Switch WS467 (D4)
---snip---

I have set up two "test" macros: D9 to turn on the D2-D4 lights and D10 to turn them all off. D10 works fine, D9 only turns on 1 out of the 3 wall switches.

Last time it was D9 ON and D9 OFF - did you change it, or is this just a typo?

And, again, once I connect my computer to the CM15A and run macros via ActiveHome - no problem at all, works great! I am little at a loss here.

I understand that you are possibly anxious, confused, upset, but you have to troubleshoot X10 logically. I believe that Puck and I have already solved your problem, but you didn't "listen". :(

In my original reply, right after your "Any suggestions?", I gave you three - did you follow them?

Unplug *BOTH* RR501s (D and E) and try the MACRO, from the CM15A first and then from the SlimLine - what happens?

I'm not being rude - but I can only help you if you follow the instructions the VOLUNTEERS provide.  Take some time today and read the LINKs in my Sig Line and read my FAQ here. X10 is *NOT* Plug-N-Play, but it's not that difficult to learn either.

Best of luck - I'll be looking for your reply (and success!) later on... ;)

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 12:42:09 PM »

An aside observation: Are you aware that Motion Sensors use BaseAddress+1 for Dawn/Dusk control and only the ActiveEye MS16 allows it to be disabled without "surgery". (Affects C5 and E6)

sprocket: That's the reason behind my question... was wondering if someone could be left s_itting in the dark.   ::)

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 01:16:59 PM »

...was wondering if someone could be left s_itting in the dark.   ::)

LOVE IT!

:D

For ArtClark: ROTFLMAO

sprocket

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 02:09:30 PM »

Thanks for all your follow-up questions. I really appreciate it.

1. One motion sensor is actually on a totally different housecode (M) to trigger macros - my bad. Sorry. And, yes, I received complaints this morning about the hallway motion sensor, because it'll trigger the bathroom and someone got stuck on the potty in the dark last night ;D I just installed the one last evening and didn't get around to program it.

2. I am using multiple transceivers for the Slimline Controllers, because the RF range of the CM15a is limited (about 20 feet).

3. I will be trying now to run all macros on a unique housecode, as TakeTheActive suggested.

Again, the 'odd' thing is that running the macros from the computer via the CM15a works just fine, but executing the macro D9 ON on the Slimline Controller doesn't turn on lights D3 and D4, but macro D9 OFF to turn them all OFF works just fine (yes, sorry that was a typo earlier). I just don't get it why that happens.

Oof. I just wish there was a function in ActiveHome to display and print out ALL housecodes and assignments.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 02:33:34 PM »

Again, the 'odd' thing is that running the macros from the computer via the CM15a works just fine, but executing the macro D9 ON on the Slimline Controller doesn't turn on lights D3 and D4, but macro D9 OFF to turn them all OFF works just fine (yes, sorry that was a typo earlier). I just don't get it why that happens.

That's because the MACRO is only being triggered ONCE... as Martha would say, That's a GOOD Thing.  8)

Oof. I just wish there was a function in ActiveHome to display and print out ALL housecodes and assignments.

There is... Tools / Find Other Computers...

sprocket

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 02:42:24 PM »

Puck, what do you mean by "the macro is only being triggered once"?

The "Find other computers" option is nice, but I would prefer something that displays all codes on one page, like

C1 - Light #1
C2 - Macro #1
C3 - Liight #2

D2 - Light #13

etc...

Right now, even the "Find other computers" display is hopelessy cluttered, because I have been playing around with the system for quite some time and a lot of the old settings still show up.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.