Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HELP !! HELP !! CM15A's causing BALDNESS  (Read 20843 times)

rgfullerton

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
HELP !! HELP !! CM15A's causing BALDNESS
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:47:44 AM »

Hello Folks,

Look, I have been using and buying X10 products since the 70's when it was a BSR technology.  I used this system (X-10) for years and years running on my Commodore 64 .  I've used it for years and years running in windows with a CM13.  Now I start introducing everyone, myself included, to the CM15A.  Nothing but problems.  Here's the history of CM15A's since first purchasing them; beginning with a friend where I installed it for him.  Before I begin let me explain that I have been in the electronics/electrical profession for over 40 years. 

UNIT          PROBLEM                           STATUS

#1         No home wiring control - slowly degraded to no functions at all.           Returned - rcvd new unit
         At least there was no problem with the USB.         

#2         Replacement for above - terrible time having computer recognize      Not Sure ??
         USB.  I finally got it to work but the signal strength must be terribly weak.
         Phase coupled, but still terribly unreliable.  Thinking of switching to old
         AHM.  Fortunately the wireless stuff works.

#3         My first personal unit.  Nothing at all worked !  The ONLY thing that       Returned - rcvd new unit
         functioned was that the Unit was able to "Detect"  X10 Commands from
         other devices.

#4         Replacement for above - AHGGG  - No RF control @ all.  VERY poor       NOT SURE WHAT TO DO!
         signal to house wiring.  Very inconsistent performance.  I installed the
         X10 Coupler/Repeater with a very slight change in response.  Many of
         modules and switches will GO ON but not off.

Please tell me what you would like me to do this time.  Should I "CALL YOU", write, test, etc.

Best Regards,

Bob Fullerton

JWankel

Re: HELP !! HELP !! CM15A's causing BALDNESS
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:26:03 AM »

I just received and installed 2 new CM15A's (on different systems in different physical locations).

Other than a bit of trouble getting the USB driver to install and function properly, they both seem to work well within AHP.

However, neither CM15A responds to RF commands from pre-existing remote controls (7-in-1 Universal, KeyChain, nor PalmPad).

Like yours, the house monitoring codes are correct. They just don't work! This is not a distance issue (1 ft)
Put the old RR501 transceiver (that it's supposed to replace!) back in and everything works again.

I don't understand this either, so can anyone shed some light here?

Thanks.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 10:35:54 AM »

The CM15A is notorious for not having good reception from RF devices.  Unless you are interesting in extending the CM15's antenna (which is covered here, you can search for the threads) but be warned that any mods you you do will void the warranty, a transceiver such as the RR501 or TM751 can be used. I would recommend the RR501, it's more robust than the 751.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:29:25 PM »

...I have been using and buying X10 products since the 70's when it was a BSR technology....

...Now I start introducing everyone, myself included, to the CM15A.  Nothing but problems...

Welcome to the Club!  ;D

...I have been in the electronics/electrical profession for over 40 years...

There are *MANY* friendly, helpful, knowledgeable "Old Geezers " here! :D

Please tell me what you would like me to do this time.  Should I "CALL YOU", write, test, etc.

READ!, READ!! and then READ Some More!!!

:o

[OPINION]

• If you want something that *WORKS*, stick with the CM11A and AH.

• If you want to learn something new and gain more control, look into HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X.

• But, if you want a  real CHALLENGE, something that can occupy *ALL* of your free time, go for the CM15A and AHP.

[/OPINION][/size][/b]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:37:51 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 02:11:48 PM »

However, neither CM15A responds to RF commands from pre-existing remote controls (7-in-1 Universal, KeyChain, nor PalmPad).

Like yours, the house monitoring codes are correct. They just don't work! This is not a distance issue (1 ft)
Put the old RR501 transceiver (that it's supposed to replace!) back in and everything works again.

Just in case there is some confusion here, have a look at this topic: Difference between monitored and transceived house codes

#4         Replacement for above - AHGGG - No RF control @ all.

If you are controlling modules directly with an RF device, make sure that House Code is set to Transceive in the Hardware Configuration.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 12:28:40 AM »

Hello Folks,

Look, I have been using and buying X10 products since the 70's when it was a BSR technology.  I used this system (X-10) for years and years running on my Commodore 64 .  I've used it for years and years running in windows with a CM13.  Now I start introducing everyone, myself included, to the CM15A.  Nothing but problems.  Here's the history of CM15A's since first purchasing them; beginning with a friend where I installed it for him.  Before I begin let me explain that I have been in the electronics/electrical profession for over 40 years. 

UNIT          PROBLEM                           STATUS

#1         No home wiring control - slowly degraded to no functions at all.           Returned - rcvd new unit
         At least there was no problem with the USB.         

#2         Replacement for above - terrible time having computer recognize      Not Sure ??
         USB.  I finally got it to work but the signal strength must be terribly weak.
         Phase coupled, but still terribly unreliable.  Thinking of switching to old
         AHM.  Fortunately the wireless stuff works.

#3         My first personal unit.  Nothing at all worked !  The ONLY thing that       Returned - rcvd new unit
         functioned was that the Unit was able to "Detect"  X10 Commands from
         other devices.

#4         Replacement for above - AHGGG  - No RF control @ all.  VERY poor       NOT SURE WHAT TO DO!
         signal to house wiring.  Very inconsistent performance.  I installed the
         X10 Coupler/Repeater with a very slight change in response.  Many of
         modules and switches will GO ON but not off.

Best Regards,

Bob Fullerton

Hi Ya well you might want to look into a Leviton coupler/repeater this unit actually acts as a signal  bridge and actually amplifies the signal to about 3 volts I believe sure fixed all my transmission problems I'll have to look for the model number. Good Luck!!

Tom j

jimsnorton

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 04:32:22 PM »

I agree with "taketheactive". Return to the CM11! I bought the AHP over 2 years ago & had so many probs I went back to my CM11. It finally sent it's last signal last week so I have HAD to install the AHP. I hate it! The unit itself could be bad, but I am more apt to believe the SW sux! I tried, in vain, 2 yrs ago to get help from X10, but it didn't happen. That's the reason I went back to the CM11. I have just sent a lengthy email to their troubleshooting dept, which is sort of like standing in front of a tree and asking it for help! I did ask them to replace my unit, although I have no doubt they will ignore my email, like they usually do.
So I put it out there, ... does anyone know of any third person software that works? I have used these products since the original "BSR" & "Sears" units were available. About 30 years is how long I have been using this stuff. It was all good until X10 replaced the first controller. The one with the 8 switches on it. Since then it has been one thing after another. The Cm11 worked about 80 - 90% of the time. The AHP prolly 10 - 50% of the time. Since I have only had it in use for a week, I'm being generous with the 50% statement!

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 05:18:47 PM »

I agree with "taketheactive". Return to the CM11! I bought the AHP over 2 years ago & had so many probs I went back to my CM11. It finally sent it's last signal last week so I have HAD to install the AHP. I hate it!

HC60CRX/CM11A Activehome @ $10

10 BUCKS! What are you waiting for?  ;D

...The unit itself could be bad, but I am more apt to believe the SW sux!

If you've got the time, we've got (most of) the workarounds. 8)

...About 30 years is how long I have been using this stuff. It was all good until X10 replaced the first controller. The one with the 8 switches on it...

This one?

jimsnorton

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »

"Taketheactive..."

The one on the left.

And thanks for the link to the CM11!!!

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 07:17:40 PM »

"Taketheactive..."

...thanks for the link to the CM11!!!

You're quite welcome, fellow "Old Geezer"! :D

...I have used these products since the original "BSR" & "Sears" units were available. About 30 years is how long I have been using this stuff...

Now, where's my 94th Helpful, huh? ;)

BTW, when you have some time, please "Introduce Yourself" to the "Cheers Gang " :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.