Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [WTB] CP290 Software That Runs Under Windows Vista  (Read 15290 times)

YAR

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
[WTB] CP290 Software That Runs Under Windows Vista
« on: March 18, 2007, 05:02:32 PM »

Hi
Anyone know how to get "Lighthouse" working on a new Vista computer?  Or anyother software that will program my CP290 computer interface from a Vista computer using a serial port?
Right now I have to keep an old computer with MS Me running Lighthouse in order to program my CP290.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: [WTB] CP290 Software That Runs Under Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 05:36:48 PM »

Hi
Anyone know how to get "Lighthouse" working on a new Vista computer?  Or anyother software that will program my CP290 computer interface from a Vista computer using a serial port?
Right now I have to keep an old computer with MS Me running Lighthouse in order to program my CP290.

I had to do a search to even find out what "lighthouse and CP290" are!

I am not a young person (my youngest relatives call me grandpa).... so I understand liking to keep things simple. But I would highly recommend you try AHP!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

YAR

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 09:52:20 PM »

Thanks, What is APH and where can i find it?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 11:30:33 PM »

Actually, Dave,

The link for just plain AHP is http://www.x10.com/activehomepro/activehome-pro.htm

That's just AHP and the CM15A, no add-ons.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 05:53:15 PM »

If you don't decide to upgrade to ActiveHome Pro (understandable if what you have is working), I think you may have a hard time making Lighthouse work with Vista. It might be a better bet to find one of the other pieces of software that works with the CP290 and see if those can be made to work with Vista. Do a Google search for "cp290 software" and you should find some that work on Win2000 and XP, and those will probably work on Vista.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 12:49:09 PM »

...Or anyother software that will program my CP290 computer interface from a Vista computer using a serial port?

Wow! We're being FLOODED lately with all these CP290 users (3 ::) )? What's 'waking them' up? :o (Has it been 17 years already?) ;D

As I stated in the other 2 threads, for the minimal investment involved,
While the CM15A/AHP *WILL* work on your brandy-spanking-new Vista computer, read some of the archives here first and decide *IF* you have the time and energy to invest in getting it going (easy for some, not-so-easy for others - a roll of the dice...). The CM11A/AH *DOES* work on *SOME* Win2K and XP computers (another roll of the dice as to whether you figure out the 'secret' to get it communicating reliabily via the serial port - again, search the archives for more info).

My personal opinion - what's the big deal of having a second computer? I (currently) have 11; 7 desktops and 4 laptops. But *NONE* are state-of-the-art (don't need it!). Old laptops are GREAT (low power consumption / built-in UPS) for running HA, setting up and learning Linux, running a 'Full Service' Router/Firewall, DHCP Server, FTP Server, Print Server, playing MP3s, etc... :D
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

YAR

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 10:55:44 PM »

For anyone interested, I did a internet search and found "Smart 10," which allows programing for the time +/- sunset and sunrise.  It works on Vista, but has a few bugs, like the help file won't open from the program.  But you can go to the file folder and click on the help file and read it.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 02:44:21 AM »

Another possibility I just stumbled across:  XtenWIN

No idea if it will work with Vista, but it might be worth looking at as it is basically free although if it does work they would appreciate you making a donation to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.   8)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.