Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can I Use an Existing RR501 With a New CM15A?  (Read 6942 times)

rms59

• Helpful Post Rating: 15
Can I Use an Existing RR501 With a New CM15A?
« on: April 06, 2007, 06:52:58 PM »

Yes, I'm considered a newbie but with a plus after it. I have purchased the AHP which came with the CM15A and the software.... all up and working. But first this....

I have an RR501 mounted in my attic high on the rafters with the antenna pointed down. I can activate any module in my house from out in the middle of my street. It works flawlessly with every type of module I have.

I also have CFL's all over the house and have bought some powerline filters from smarthome that actually worked, and cured the few problems I was having. Everything was beautiful.......

Then I decided to by the AHP....... and problems have put me back to square one where I don't want to be. Because the CM15A is tied closely to my computer via the USB cable, I can't place it in that sweet spot in the attic.

I was thinking of programming it one time then unplugging it from the computer and placing it in the attic but it kind of defeats the purpose.

I was even wondering if I can place the CM15A in the attic along with a wireless printer port I have?
I know one thing for sure...... I'm not going to downgrade my good system if the CM15A doesn't do the job. I'll just sell it.
Any suggestions? or point me to a specific link?

Thanks, Dick

Ok, I got all my stuff except the powerflash which will be here shortly.
All the software works, and SOME lights work when I set up the macros. Just a few more questions....

1. Can I still use my RR501 Transceiver? Its mounted in the attic and works flawlessly, always controlling any module on command.

2. The Cm15A interface doesn't activate modules in some rooms and I think I may be looking at a phase problem.

3. If it is, it could get nasty to figure out.

Any suggestions welcome....

Dick

Well it seems I join the missing software club. They sent me an email with five codes but only two work, and like the other posters, the security module tells me to download a new update, and the "Myhouse" module activation code won't work.

I've replied to the very email they sent me with the request for the new software, and to support too.....

I hope I get it before my stuff comes in...  ;)

Dick

[TTA Edit: Split / Combined / Moved 3 posts here to start a new chapter in Dick's X10 saga... ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:00:57 PM by TakeTheActive »

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: Can I Use an Existing RR501 With a New CM15A?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 09:14:37 PM »

Congratulations Dick!

Coinciding with today's arrival of the FedEx/UPS/USPS delivery man, you've successfully made the transition from 66-year-old, cane-banging "Old Geezer " to 8-year-old, excited young boy with a new toy!  ;D

Now, after you calm down a bit from all the excitment, you can begin "putting your new toy together".

I split / combined / moved your 3 posts because you were mixing topics and splitting information given. Reviewing your "Drapery Controller" thread, it appears the CM15A is your FIRST computer controller (something you'd NEVER get ;) ). So, you need to READ & LEARN. Several other "Old Geezer's " have already composed and posted MANY helpful FAQs, Tutorials, Common Questions - PLEASE take some time to read them over. AHP/CM15A is *NOT* 'Plug-N-Play' - it takes some work to get going properly.  Mine *STILL* doesn't run as well as my old, 'tried-and-true' AH/CM11A. :'(

You need to learn new terms to communicate with other AHP/CM15A folks - YES, you can continue to successfully use your RR501 in the attic, but you must properly set the Transceived Housecodes on AHP. OK? What's a Transceived Housecode? Well... 8)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:24:09 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

rms59

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 09:21:15 PM »

YES, you can continue to successfully use your RR501 in the attic, but you must properly set the Transceived Housecodes on AHP. OK?

Yeah ok....pant pant pant, I even had to take some valium but this paragraph is what I really wanted to hear. Thanks, and I will look around the site to get my system running....

Thanks again.  ;D

Dick

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:57:21 PM »

Congratulations Dick!

Coinciding with today's arrival of the FedEx/UPS/USPS delivery man, you've successfully made the transition from 66-year-old, cane-banging "Old Geezer " to 8-year-old, excited young boy with a new toy!  ;D

Now, after you calm down a bit from all the excitment, you can begin "putting your new toy together".

You know TTA, I can see Dick deciding to add voice command to his drapes.... so he can just "tell" them to open and close.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
What Can Happen (TO YOU TOO) If You're Not Careful...
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 12:00:44 AM »

You know TTA, I can see Dick deciding to add voice command to his drapes.... so he can just "tell" them to open and close.

You know, Dave, things are suddenly moving so FAST here that I can barely keep up! :o

Over the course of just SIX SHORT DAYS:

• ...have several X10's working for my pole light, can lights, and to turn on my wireless remote printer which is in another room.

...As far as X10, I don't want to have anything on my computer that programs them. I like to turn them on or off with a handheld remote when I want...

• Thats exactly what I want to do..... I will order the powerflash right now.... thanks, Dick  :)

• Yes, I'm considered a newbie but with a plus after it. :o I have purchased the AHP :o which came with the CM15A and the software.... all up and working. But first this...

...Everything was beautiful...

Then I decided to by the AHP....... and problems have put me back to square one where I don't want to be. Because the CM15A is tied closely to my computer via the USB cable, I can't place it in that sweet spot in the attic...

• Yeah ok....pant pant pant, I even had to take some valium...

It appears that the "Power of the Dark Side" was just too strong for this one, Obi-Two... :(

A retired, mild-mannered (well, except for that cane part) Grandpa from (a small town in) Northeast USA, who USED to fly remote control (electric) airplanes with his 3-year-old granddaughter, is now on AHP & drugs... :-[

Imagine what the lure of
BXVC could do to him in his current vunerable condition! :o

rms59

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 10:59:56 AM »

The RR501 in my attic is able to talk to every outlet in my house without any problems. Unfortunately the outlet in the attic is not on the same line as the one my computer is plugged into.

I took a 50 foot electrical extention cord and with the CM15A plugged into one end, I plugged the other end into different outlets. Behold, I found an outlet in the hallway that allows the CM15A to work. If I leave it in that outlet, I can (using AHP) turn on and off every module in the house.

Plugging it back near my computer, it only turns on half of the modules. I have the tranceived in the hardware configuration set to my specific house code (E) only.

So, I don't believe that the CM is RF capable to reach my RR in the attic..... at least, thats my guess.

I will still be checking around the forums for answers, but its a big forum...

Dick

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 12:18:37 PM »

...I will still be checking around the forums for answers, but its a big forum...

Certainly. But every answer you find on your own is one less that someone has to re-type. ;)  I'd suggest beginning with FAQs and STICKYs. A good deal of the information that the 'been-there / done-that' folks feel needs to be understood is already listed.

...The RR501 in my attic is able to talk to every outlet in my house without any problems. Unfortunately the outlet in the attic is not on the same line as the one my computer is plugged into.

I took a 50 foot electrical extention cord and with the CM15A plugged into one end, I plugged the other end into different outlets. Behold, I found an outlet in the hallway that allows the CM15A to work.f If I leave it in that outlet, I can (using AHP) turn on and off every module in the house.

EXCELLENT LOGIC! Especially the hunt for an outlet with the extention cord. :)

...Plugging it back near my computer, it only turns on half of the modules...

It's time to MAP / MEASURE / CORRECT - read my FAQs and JeffVolp's Tutorials.

...I have the tranceived in the hardware configuration set to my specific house code (E) only.

So, I don't believe that the CM15A is RF capable to reach my RR501 in the attic..... at least, thats my guess.

With the RR501 serving as the Whole House RF Receiver, set 'Transceived HouseCodes' to NONE in AHP. Search for my "Work-in-Progress" X10 Glossary and read the difference between Monitored and Transceived HouseCodes. Attempt to K.I.S.S. as much as possible at this stage of your learning / AHP implementation.

The CM15A has NO NEED to reach the RR501 via RF - but the RR501 DOES NEED to reach the CM15A via PLC. You'll see the relationship more clearly the more reading you do... 8)

rms59

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 08:05:30 PM »

Well, just an update to anyone interested. No need to reply to this post.

I finished reading all the FAQ's, tips, and other articles, but still have the same problem with the CM15A being able to communicate with all of the modules in my home. The trancieve code is turned off.

I managed, after a full day, to map out my homes fuse panel, and wiring, and haven't found anything wierd. I built the tuned signal bridge using a .1uf 600vac cap and .18uH inductor and connected it at the fuse panel across the dryer breaker.

No dice. Same result. The RR501 in my attic talks to all the modules on both phases like it always did. What is funny is that the RR501 is on a circuit with 4 CFL's, 3 standard flourecent lamps, a fish aquarium motor, and an outside pole light, yet it runs flawlessly.

The CM15 is on a circuit with 6 outlets that have nothing special about them and is on the same phase as the RR501. Go figure.

What DOES work is if I plug the CM15A into the same circuit that has the RR501 (circuit 7), and add the signal bridge from the hot wire of the circuit operating the RR501 to the hot wire of the circuit (circuit 20) that won't recieve from the CM15... both on the same phase. Lucky me that circuit wiring is in the basement within 6 feet of where my computer is, one floor up. Tommorrow I will add an outlet near my computer and tap it to the basement wire. I already ran a 50' utility cord to test it and it works fine.

Not everything in the FAQ will work for everyone so I have to improvise without spending a fortune on analyzers or other test equipment.

Dick

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 08:21:23 PM by rms59 »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 09:29:14 PM »

What DOES work is if I plug the CM15A into the same circuit that has the RR501 (circuit 7), and add the signal bridge from the hot wire of the circuit operating the RR501 to the hot wire of the circuit (circuit 20) that won't recieve from the CM15... both on the same phase. Lucky me that circuit wiring is in the basement within 6 feet of where my computer is, one floor up. Tommorrow I will add an outlet near my computer and tap it to the basement wire. I already ran a 50' utility cord to test it and it works fine.

Not everything in the FAQ will work for everyone so I have to improvise without spending a fortune on analyzers or other test equipment.

Interesting problem. I am sure as time-goes-by you will find the signal sucker somewhere ...... but I like your solution of adding a new outlet (of course I love running wire). Sounds like you have this problem by the horns for now. I (for one) remain interested  and will continue to follow this thread.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 11:40:25 PM »

Plugging it back near my computer, it only turns on half of the modules.

Sorry for being late to the party.  I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything about the computer being isolated with a filter.  If it isn't, it could be sucking up most of the signal produced by the CM15A.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 06:54:12 AM »

Yup. I can personally say I have seen computers and UPS units suck up X10 and other protocol signals on the powerline. X10 type filters can be your friend.

rms59

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 06:13:39 PM »

Plugging it back near my computer, it only turns on half of the modules.

Sorry for being late to the party.  I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything about the computer being isolated with a filter.  If it isn't, it could be sucking up most of the signal produced by the CM15A.

Jeff

Thanks for the feedback on the computer....

I unplugged my one and only X10 plug in filter I have on a line with two noisy CFL's and used it to plug my computer into. It helped. Not great, but I got the CM15 to talk to another circuit it refused before. I ordered two more filters.  I also found that my daughters fish tank was another source and when I filtered that, it improved even more.

So, I guess I will continue to troubleshoot signal suckers.....

Thanks...

Dick

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.