Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hint's and suggestions  (Read 5321 times)

emil

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Hint's and suggestions
« on: April 30, 2007, 07:41:21 AM »

On the CM15a you can't turn the receiver off.

I had range problems so I figured I would use two TM751's set to separate channels to receive RF. I had the tranceived channel set to none on the CM15a but didn't realize that only prevents transceiving the rf to the power line but not receiving. What I figured was happening was the CM15a and TM751 from the troubled sensors would both see the rf and act, unfortunately. The CM15a would execute it's macro while the TM751 was transceiving so there was a signal collision.

Using the CM15a for all my rf was my first major improvement. To extend CM15a range there are some excellent threads here. BTW, since I wasn't going to use the TM751 anymore for rf anyway I took it's antenna and used it in my CM15a :). It's needs just some minor engineering, a washer, and it's a bit long and so I only extend the height to 9.25" but works great.

I also used the passive radiator concept to help my sensors a bit. I used 14 gauge wire (18.5" long) effectively laying across the top of the sensor. The adjacent sensor radiates into the wire which in turn more effectively transmits the signal. There is a link here somewhere for this too.

I mentioned earlier that the macro I used did not work correctly if clearing a flag occured right after the condition. When I controlled a light first then cleared the flag all was good. It malfunctioned by still executing the else portion even though it shouldn't have.

For my USB connection I had problems using an extender cable. When I used the standard length cable that came with the CM15a it worked correctly.

Make sure your power line phases are coupled if your system crosses both phases.

If you are having problems with a module that's far away there are range extenders that work great.

If I think of nything else I'll add on.

The Light Warrior, victorious !!! :)

ActiveHomePro 3.310
SmartMacros 3.310

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Hint's and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 11:21:32 AM »

On the CM15a you can't turn the receiver off....
Under "Tools" / "Hardware Configuration" you can select which HC you want to receive.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

emil

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 12:25:42 PM »

On the CM15a you can't turn the receiver off....
Under "Tools" / "Hardware Configuration" you can select which HC you want to receive.

I think that check box is for tranceiving. I have "none" selected and it still receives.
ActiveHomePro 3.310
SmartMacros 3.310

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 12:51:27 PM »

...I think that check box is for tranceiving. I have "none" selected and it still receives.
If a box is unchecked, AHP should not respond to that RF code. How do you know it is "tranceiving"? Is AHP acting on the signal?
I have a couple applications where I've chosen to have a RR501 and a similar IBM labeled transceiver receive signal instead of the CM15A.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 01:33:33 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

emil

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 01:49:56 PM »

If a box is unchecked, AHP should not respond to that RF code. How do know it is "tranceiving"? Is AHP acting on the signal?
I have a couple applications where I've chosen to have a RR501 and a similar IBM labeled transceiver receive signal instead of the CM15A.

That's the part that got me too, the only thing I use to receive RF is the CM15a and it has "none" selected. 4 out of 5 events I trigger on are from the RF motion sensors. When the box is unchecked it's not tranceiving but it's still receiving.

This drove me nuts trying to figure out why my system would work inconsistently, now it's stable as a rock so far(for X-10 that is :))!

Here's the link:
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=10807.0
ActiveHomePro 3.310
SmartMacros 3.310

emil

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 01:42:28 PM »

Update:
It's still working flawlessly :)
Haven't touched it in a month.
ActiveHomePro 3.310
SmartMacros 3.310

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.