Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [BUG?] Latest Batch of WS467s Function Differently From Previous Versions...  (Read 50087 times)

keyboardgnome

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

So, I've been playing with the X10 stuff for about a week or so now. Here are the two biggest gripes from the wife :)

1. The biggest is with the wall switches. I have WS467 on a few lights (If it doesn't work out, I don't want to have to remove a whole bunch and such). The problem that she has is this: the dimming function. Is there any way to set these up so that if you press the button they just turn bright on or totally off? No dimming? The problem has been the length of time on pressing the button can either lead to a partially on or off light, and you have to then stand there holding the button until you get it right. I get frustrated by this from time to time as well.

2. I think I know the problem with this one as it more than likely is attributed to the building phases, but some of the lights are just not responsive period. All of my "high end" electronics are on separate breakers from the rest of the house on their own conditioned power, but still tie into the rest of the house (not ruling out noise from them). But I'm guessing this is going to need some sort of phase coupler or something. I'm going to turn on an appliance that bridges the two power phases and see if the other modules operate while it is on.

I do have activehome, but not configured just yet with a USB CM15A (tried Linux with it- it just wont work under that environment..... >sigh< guess I have to have a windows box in the house).

Any suggestions to #1 (maybe other products that will work with X10) would be GREAT. I'd love to have something work, but if it doesn't then all the home automation stuff gets pulled out (the argument is that "I shouldn't have to relearn how to operate a light switch", for which I agree; it's a standard interface that everyone knows how to use).

Thanks.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

A WS467 will only dim if the dim function is coming from timer or macro. Pressing the button (local control) turns the light(s) on or off - no dim.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10

I agree with Dan. I don't know all the switch model numbers off the top of my head but the standard X10 wall switch doesn't dim locally unless you modify it to do that.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Boiler

keyboardgnome,

After reading the description of the WS467 (I don't personally have these), I have to agree with Dan and Steve.  Per the online instructions, you cannot dim this (pushbutton) switch locally - only by remote.

WS467 Manual
ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ws467-is.pdf

That being said, I don't doubt for a second that your switch is actually dimming when your wife presses it for and period of time (after 25 years I've learned to always listen to the wife).

That leaves a few options:
  • Your switch is a paddle type WS12a with local dimming.  Manual: ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ws12a-14a-is.pdf
  • You live outside the US/Canada and this switch has been designed to different standards (the forum has had a number of posts from abroad recently - devices functioning "differently")
  • This is a re-designed switch from X10 and the manuals (and the forum experience) is out of date.  Again, there have been posts regarding "newly designed" modules that don't necessarily respond the way that "our" modules do.

Please let us know if any of the above is the case.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat

I just checked my WS467 switch which is about 8 months old and it does not support local dimming. I do dim mine from time to time using a remote.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

The X10 Knowledge base still indicates WS467 only dims by remote. That still could be out of date after recent findings on the Lamp Module and soft starts.

keyboardgnome

This all too interesting- I've installed 3 of these switches, and when I press the buttons on them they dim on or off. If I press and hold these buttons, I can select various brightness levels.

The boxes that these came in say exactly what I had ordered: WS467.

If anyone wants, I can video record and post what I am having.

Either there's something going on with all three units, or they repacked something else in these boxes and sent them to me.

I still dont have activehome setup or any other macro system.

I do live in the US, so nothing outside.

Any other ideas?

I'm wondering if these have been updated. I have 6 total, and have installed 3.

The boxes say: Wall Switch Module Model WS467. Inside of the packaging is the WS467 and other packing material.

The manual that comes with it is titled "Wall Dimmer Set Up and Operations Instructions Model WS467" indicating the dimmer function. The manual that comes with it says the exact same things you folks say, however when I press the button to turn it off (a quick tap), it dims off on all 3 modules. Same to turn on.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 07:29:56 PM by keyboardgnome »

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat

It sounds like X10 has added soft start AND dim from local on these switches.

I would think that with X10's love for advertising they would be all over this and promoting it on there web pages.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

keyboardgnome

I'm calling their support right now to see what they have to say. I'll report back once I hear something.

Boiler

keyboardgnome,

Please do report back with your findings (this may prevent many others from having the same problems).  As I said, I in no way doubt what you are seeing.  X10 may have "enhanced" their modules with the documentation is playing catch-up.

keyboardgnome

Bad units. I wish I had a "batch" or "serial" number to report.

I spoke with Brett who is going to do an advanced RMA so that I am not without switches for 2 weeks.

Boiler

Bad units. I wish I had a "batch" or "serial" number to report.

I spoke with Brett who is going to do an advanced RMA so that I am not without switches for 2 weeks.

Bad unit's that operate the load but dim locally??  That sounds like a new one.

Please let us know how the replacement units perform.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 09:00:27 PM by Boiler »

keyboardgnome

Will do. Part of me wonders if they're honestly bad, or someone hasnt informed their user base or tech support of "new features". Hey, that isnt a bug.... ITS A FEATURE! (insert divide by 0 here)

Boiler

Will do. Part of me wonders if they're honestly bad, or someone hasnt informed their user base or tech support of "new features". Hey, that isnt a bug.... ITS A FEATURE! (insert divide by 0 here)

Very possible, and you can't blame tech support for "enhancements" that haven't been flowed down. 

I been on the receiving end of some enhancements.  One of these resulted in the grounding of an entire model of aircraft due to an "insignificant" change (that wasn't worthy of mention) on the part of a supplier.   I can't honestly say that we would have twigged to the implications of the changed at the time, but it would have been very helpful to have a change record to track back to.

keyboardgnome

Did they decide to put a Jesus bolt on an airplane? :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.