Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lack of Motion Detection and Alarm  (Read 6165 times)

lmendenhall

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Lack of Motion Detection and Alarm
« on: August 01, 2007, 08:47:18 PM »

I seem to be looking for something that does not exist and would appreciate any help anyone can offer to find a solution.  I need to configure something like an occupancy sensor to activate an alarm if there is NO MOTION DETECTED for a period of time.  It seems all of the devices I can find work by interrupting the power supply so will not send a signal to another device.  I am looking for a way to either reverse engineer this to activate an additional connection instead of just closing as designed or a product that might operate on a timer that would automatically reset itself to the programmed time interval if it were not activated. 
If I am over complicating something that already exists and I just have not located it yet, please tell me what I am looking for.  But in searching the web for any application from security to medical alert devices I am not finding the solution.  My application is small and I simply need to be notified if there is idleness in an area by any small or large means like no passage through a doorway or the absence of  a door being opened or a space having any measurable movement. 
Since there are so many products and devices that determine if there IS motion, there must surely be one that determines if there IS NOT motion.  Help! lmendenhall Columbia, SC

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Lack of Motion Detection and Alarm
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 09:14:39 PM »

I need to configure something like an occupancy sensor to activate an alarm if there is NO MOTION DETECTED for a period of time.

I take it your not an X10 user.

I think you could work this out as a macro in AHP (Active Home Pro). Check out the Active Home Pro at the X10.com Web Site. The device with the suite of software is $50.

Create a fake or ghost module (say house code G unit code 1). G1 module has a timer/delay (say 30 minutes). A motion detector triggers G1 ON (the timer begins). 30 minutes later G1 turns OFF.

Create a macro. This macro is triggered by G1 OFF. When G1 is OFF it turns on any other X10 house/unit code ON.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 11:10:59 AM »

I seem to be looking for something that does not exist and would appreciate any help anyone can offer to find a solution.  I need to configure something like an occupancy sensor to activate an alarm if there is NO MOTION DETECTED for a period of time.

The program HEYU for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X (http://www.heyu.org)  can do this easily if you're willing to use a computer solution as opposed to a stand-alone hardware device.  It will require an X-10 CM11A interface, an RF receiver like the W800RF32A, and one (or more) X-10 motion detectors.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 06:05:34 PM »

lmendenhall:
As both Dave and Charles have stated this can easily be done with software.
If the software suggested isn't to your liking there are many others available just do a search with Google for "Homeautomation software"
If you are bound to do this with hardware only then you may have to do some modifications to your hardware.
Get a Powerflash, use some imagination and you'll figure it out! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 06:05:56 PM »

I seem to be looking for something that does not exist and would appreciate any help anyone can offer to find a solution.  I need to configure something like an occupancy sensor to activate an alarm if there is NO MOTION DETECTED for a period of time.

It has occurred to me:
An X-10 motion detector with a programmable delay time will send On signals every time motion is detected.   It will not send the Off signal until after the programmed delay following the last detected motion.   So a CM15A could be programmed with ActiveHome Pro to trigger a macro only when it receives the Off signal.   (CM15A flags would have to be set and checked in order to have this work with more than a single motion detector in the room.)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

lmendenhall

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 03:13:14 AM »

I wanted to say thanks for all of your help.  I was trying to decide if X10 or other home monitoring software would be the solution and with the input I have received I believe I now have a much better idea of how to proceed.  I sent my computer guy a link to X10 before posting my question and then found out he actually has personal experience with X10 which he used in an apartment situation, so I think I now am armed with information and also have a person to install and configure.  Maybe I will be answering someone else's questions before long.

Granite

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 03:43:41 PM »

There is a medical monitoring service which monitors elderly inactivity with their sensors and their alarm sounds when sensors go inactive, but I don't remember their name, only seen the commercial 2 times. This could be costly. X10 also sells a pendent triggered box which has a autodialer to call up to 4 preprogrammed numbers for help, sounds from the person only input too, this is similar to their theft alarm box from what I remember.

BELOW is my idea X10's help but without ActiveHome which could be easier...  :) Call me crazy but here goes...

If you are a do it yourselfer, a 555 timer circuit, its timer circuit being reset to zero each time motion happens, then after a certain time of no activity the 555 timer reaches its set count and then an alarm could happen or other action. The interface wirelessly to the 555 circuit being tripped would be the hardest part.  X10's motion sensors could be tied to the 555 circuits input through a 120v output from a module, stepped down to 5v or 1v DC based regulated voltage, small ac adapter probably best, unless you want to build a power supply, this needed on the logic input to the 555 TIMER IC and its output could drive a alarm through a relay or op amp circuit which if I remember correctly is in a 555 itself, or the other side used of a 556 dual timer IC. There are other ways to do this, other timer ICs, a resettable counter could be used from a digital 74 series IC itself too... Radio Shack did sell the 555 or 556 IC, and there are others such as Digi-Key, Jameco mail order companies.

I seem to be looking for something that does not exist and would appreciate any help anyone can offer to find a solution.  I need to configure something like an occupancy sensor to activate an alarm if there is NO MOTION DETECTED for a period of time.  It seems all of the devices I can find work by interrupting the power supply so will not send a signal to another device.  I am looking for a way to either reverse engineer this to activate an additional connection instead of just closing as designed or a product that might operate on a timer that would automatically reset itself to the programmed time interval if it were not activated. 
If I am over complicating something that already exists and I just have not located it yet, please tell me what I am looking for.  But in searching the web for any application from security to medical alert devices I am not finding the solution.  My application is small and I simply need to be notified if there is idleness in an area by any small or large means like no passage through a doorway or the absence of  a door being opened or a space having any measurable movement. 
Since there are so many products and devices that determine if there IS motion, there must surely be one that determines if there IS NOT motion.  Help! lmendenhall Columbia, SC

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.