Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ActiveHome Pro Registration  (Read 11287 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
ActiveHome Pro Registration
« on: August 07, 2007, 06:30:39 PM »

OK fellows, I hope one of you can help me for change. :)

For testing the XTB-IIR, I connected a CM15A to my lab computer to monitor line traffic.  That keeps bitching about registration whenever I start up AHP, and the registration number is ignored - probably due to no Internet connection.  Since that PC is used exclusively for hardware development, I don't want to deal with all the Windows and McAfee BS needed for current virus protection.  It would seem that some people must use AHP on a stand-alone computer.  Is there a work-around for the registration?

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: ActiveHome Pro Registration
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 07:12:51 PM »

Jeff I have a stand-alone off-line HA Computer.... and I don't get that. Haven't you EVER Registered?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 08:09:41 PM »

Can one even install AHP without an internet connection?  I thought the installer file is just a shell, and it has to download the "real" code during the install?   ???
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 10:22:57 PM »

Can one even install AHP without an internet connection?  I thought the installer file is just a shell, and it has to download the "real" code during the install?   ???

Thats what I thought too. Maybe I just don't understand the problem.... sorry.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 11:24:39 AM »

Sorry for the confusion.  The harddrive now in that computer was in this computer a few years ago.  I had originally installed (and registered) AHP on this computer, so it was still on that harddrive.  It does run, but now I get the warning that it isn't registered anymore.

Jeff

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 02:33:22 PM »

Ah, you never actually installed it onto this PC  So, there is nothing in the Window's Registry.

Now, is it complaining that AHP isn't registered, by Windows, into Window's registry, or is it complaining that AHP isn't registered with X10 Inc?   Yea, I know, two very different meanings for the same word, "registered".
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 02:49:16 PM »

None of the AHP software registration information is stored in the Windows Registry, and if anything is needed in the Windows Registry to run AHP it's created at start-up.

As far as I know, there's no workaround for the X10 registration process on a computer without Internet access. The scheme for creating the registration entry in the registration file can't be duplicated outside of the computer where AHP is installed, and obviously registering on the computer you have it installed requires an Internet connection.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 02:59:32 PM »

As far as I know, there's no workaround for the X10 registration process on a computer without Internet access. The scheme for creating the registration entry in the registration file can't be duplicated outside of the computer where AHP is installed, and obviously registering on the computer you have it installed requires an Internet connection.

It is interesting that X10 now requires Internet access on the target computer.  Guess I'll have to deal with that warning whenever I boot it up.

Thanks all,

Jeff

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 07:40:09 PM »

It may be the same problem that pops up with XP if you move the hard drive to a different computer. XP will refuse to boot, the only solution is to re-install XP from the CD. When the install is finished, everything that was there before works just like before.  When I did the hard drive move, AHP still came up as registered, so I have no idea why yours is saying it's not registered.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 11:21:44 PM »

It is interesting that X10 now requires Internet access on the target computer...

What do you mean by "now"? Hasn't it always been that way for the CM15A/AHP folks? :'(

What's that " other controller " you 'rare-and-far-apart' Beta Testers sometimes mention? CM14A?

• Did it need Internet access?
  • Did it need to be registered?
  • Did it NAG you every time?

...Guess I'll have to deal with that warning whenever I boot it up.

Try waiting a minute or so before replying.

It is my experience (I *STILL* haven't registered AHP 3.204 because I *STILL* haven't gotten it to perform as reliably as AH v1.32!  :-[ ) that shortly after displaying, the 2nd (popup) window requesting registration also "loses focus" - you can't type into it, you can't CLICK on it - you *MUST* CLICK on the taskbar entry just to regain focus just to be able to close it. >:( DUH! :P

Another example, in my mind at least, that AHP was written by non-American (or at least non-Windows proficient) / 'English as a Second Language' / 'We Can Save BIG $$$ Here!' programmers. IMHO, there are *SO* many little everyday 'take-for-granted' Windows default actions / behaviors / functions that plain-and-simple JUST DON'T WORK in AHP (If you haven't seen it already, read through my "WAF" post from ~ August 2006). It's like the AHP programmers NEVER SAW Windows before this project. :o

If I can easily find it again (GOOGLE), I remember once reading about a 'Keystroke/Mouse Action' Recorder. In fact, somehow I believe that it was even part of Windows 3.1. Let me see what I (or some other "Old Geezer") can come up with. :-\
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 11:34:35 PM »

...As far as I know, there's no workaround for the X10 registration process on a computer without Internet access. The scheme for creating the registration entry in the registration file can't be duplicated outside of the computer where AHP is installed, and obviously registering on the computer you have it installed requires an Internet connection.

A Check Box offering:

• Don't display this screen again  OR
  • Remind me again in XX (i.e. a drop-down box offering {at least!} up to 30) days

*MANY* 'generally-accepted-Windows-actions / behaviors / functions' just weren't included in AHP . Combine that with the On-Going / NEVER FIXED BUGs and you can certainly see why 'non-hobbyist' Users have problems with it.

So many of us have offered, time-and-time again, to work with an AHP programmer to 'clean up' these problems, but X10 Corporation has NEVER even had the decency to politely decline our offers - we're just ignored. >:(

Now that you're no longer an X10 employee, any comments on this?
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 07:17:04 AM »

What's that " other controller " you 'rare-and-far-apart' Beta Testers sometimes mention? CM14A?

• Did it need Internet access?
  • Did it need to be registered?
  • Did it NAG you every time?

Maybe.
No.
No.
No.

Though, it isn't supported by XP  :(

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 11:51:12 AM »

What do you mean by "now"? Hasn't it always been that way for the CM15A/AHP folks?

Did it need Internet access?
Did it need to be registered?
Did it NAG you every time?

I used the CM11A, CM14A, and now the CM15A.  Neither of the earlier units required Internet access except for the ability to download code updates.  And that was split so it could be moved from machine to machine on several floppy disks.  No registration or nag.

The CM14A was a great controller, but I eventually went to the Ocelot after X10 dropped that project.  I got the CM15A in response to a project Dave Houston was working on, and installed AHP on this machine at that time.  I also built a few "echo" macros that I used during early XTB testing.  Then one of my hard drives failed, and I replaced both of the drives in this machine.  The lab computer got the one that was still working.  As someone else mentioned, it also got a re-install of XP SP2.  I never used AHP on that machine until last weekend when I pulled out the CM15A to help debug a problem.  Apparently AHP lost its "registration" when the drive was moved to a different machine.  The "nag" dialog box says that some stuff won't work unless I register.  However, the traffic monitor works fine, which is all I need.

But, looking at the CM15A - AHP as a whole, I wonder why they even require registration for the software.  They are really selling the hardware.  The hardware doesn't work without AHP, and AHP is useless without the hardware.  The "key" would seem to be the hardware itself.  I realize they sell other components of the software, and agree that they would have to be registered somehow to prevent theft.  But the basic AHP doesn't need that protection.

Jeff

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 03:45:55 PM »

Another example, in my mind at least, that AHP was written by non-American (or at least non-Windows proficient) / 'English as a Second Language' / 'We Can Save BIG $$$ Here!' programmers. IMHO, there are *SO* many little everyday 'take-for-granted' Windows default actions / behaviors / functions that plain-and-simple JUST DON'T WORK in AHP (If you haven't seen it already, read through my "WAF" post from ~ August 2006). It's like the AHP programmers NEVER SAW Windows before this project.

AHP was written in Seattle, by people who speak English and are experienced developers under Windows. The many things that don't work according to Windows standard are due to the fact the X10 doesn't use the standard Windows libraries and controls. It looks like a Windows XP application because we included graphics from Windows XP in the title bar, etc., but every control is pretty much written by X10. The advantage is that X10 can write applications that look and behave any they want. Look at Vanguard or even the Firecracker software -- you can't get applications that look like that by using the windowing and control available from the OS. The downside is exactly what you've pointed out -- the developers have to also write every normal function that you take for granted in a Windows application. We definitely didn't get everything when AHP was first released, and it hasn't been a priority to X10 to fix those things since.

So many of us have offered, time-and-time again, to work with an AHP programmer to 'clean up' these problems, but X10 Corporation has NEVER even had the decency to politely decline our offers - we're just ignored.

X10's priority has always been new products to generate new customers or new purchases. Because AHP works well enough for most of X10's customers, it's not going to get much attention.

But, looking at the CM15A - AHP as a whole, I wonder why they even require registration for the software.  They are really selling the hardware.

I agree with you completely. There's no need for registration on the main AHP software, and I really doubt that removing registration requirements for paid plug-ins would cause a flurry of trading that would cost X10 money.

That said, X10 has used the required Internet registration system since Multiview came out in 2001, and up to the time I left the number of complaints about requiring an Internet connection was very small. With almost all of X10's customers buying online, it doesn't seem to be a problem for most people.

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 06:29:28 PM »

X10's priority has always been new products to generate new customers or new purchases. Because AHP works well enough for most of X10's customers, it's not going to get much attention.

MichaelC, I hope this isn't too far off topic: I have always contented that MOST X10 customers open their packages ...read the directions... and use the products. A small percentage, call tech-support or come to the forums. A small percent (of the small percentage) actually join and post a question.

Those of us that actually hang around the forums, would then be, a really tiny fraction of the X10 customer base.

Would you share your thoughts on that?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 08:43:28 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.