Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replacement push buttons for WS467 Wall Switches  (Read 9850 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Replacement push buttons for WS467 Wall Switches
« on: September 03, 2007, 05:34:13 PM »

Oddball question:  Are replacement push buttons for WS467 Wall Switches available?   One of my WS467s has had the push button on break in half, exposing the plastic shaft the button sits on.  The local control works fine, just the button is missing, so you push on the shaft to locally turn the controlled light to turn on or off.  It responds to all timers, so it's still good.

Any Ideas, short of replacing the entire switch?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Replacement push buttons for WS467 Wall Switches
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 07:56:20 PM »

Oddball question:  Are replacement push buttons for WS467 Wall Switches available?   One of my WS467s has had the push button on break in half, exposing the plastic shaft the button sits on.  The local control works fine, just the button is missing, so you push on the shaft to locally turn the controlled light to turn on or off.  It responds to all timers, so it's still good.

Swap the broken-button switch with one somewhere else in your house that's rarely operated manually.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 09:15:04 PM »

In addition to the other posts here you can do one more thing to get around this problem in the future.  When your WS467s burn out, and a few of them will, save them so you have spare mechanical parts.  In addition to breaking in half the push button caps also pop off and become unfindable.  It will be nice to have a spare when that happens, which it will.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 09:20:47 PM »

I've never had a WS467 burn out.  I have a spare in my "X10 Box" where I keep spare modules and short term use modules (used at certain holiday times), but I'm not really looking at replacing a working buttonless WS467 that works with a new one.

If one of my other ones goes bye-bye on me, I'll replace it and save the button before I make a present of the old one to the bi-weekly trash collection.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:52:39 PM »

Are replacement push buttons for WS467 Wall Switches available?

No replacement parts are available for *ANY* X10 items. :(

Upgrade it into a "Local Dimmable" wide-paddle Leviton-like switch (per the instructions on Ido's site).

Overview:

• 1.) Drill out the rivets in the corners (use small machine screws and nuts, 2x56 IIRC, when re-assembling)

• 2.) Dremel off the metal ears (to make it as small as the plastic box 'cover' that just came off when you removed the rivets)

• 3.) Remove the old pushbutton and slide switches

• 4.) Run 2 wires (per Ido's article) out the hole left by the old pushbutton switch

• 5.) MOD the PCB for "Local Dimming" (per Ido's article)

• 6.) Add a ballpoint pen spring (length must be "customized") under one end of a Leviton SPST non-X10 wall switch so that the switch always returns to its original position (i.e. momentary contact)

• 7.) Connect the 2 NEW wires from the old WS467 to the new Leviton SPST

• 8.) STUFF everything back into the utility box and ENJOY!
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 11:15:47 PM »

Thanks, but no thanks.

I'll just wait until either it or another one of the WS467s I have dies before I replace the one missing its button.   I've got a spare one sitting in my "X10 Box".

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 10:11:40 AM »

Thanks, but no thanks.

............... I've got a spare one sitting in my "X10 Box".

Well Dan..... I keep spares too! I use them for projects... I haven't thought of yet. And in case a unit was to break. This would fall under the "break" category.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.