Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Warspying and wireless cameras  (Read 22099 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Warspying and wireless cameras
« on: November 22, 2007, 10:59:04 AM »

Hi,
After setting up several cameras in my house, I've realised that I've essentially "bugged" my own home :o. Anyone with a special video receiver can tap into my camera transmission and see and hear everything in my house. So I was wondering if at least I could disable the microphone that's in the camera somehow. Or does anyone know how to prevent this kind of thing from happening. Thanks in advance.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Warspying and wireless cameras
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »

Hi,
After setting up several cameras in my house, I've realised that I've essentially "bugged" my own home :o.

Actually... as I am sure you know... only the cameras that are ON transmitt anything. I would assume if you have any cameras ON 24/7... they would be outside cams. Therefore anyone getting close enough to listen-in, would only hear feedback.

However... I don't think it would be too difficult to "disable" the microphone. I would try putting a like dab of play-doh, plumbers putty, modeling clay, or chalk over the little "microphone hole".
Home Automation is an always changing technology

birdzeye

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 09:13:48 PM »

Hi,
After setting up several cameras in my house, I've realised that I've essentially "bugged" my own home :o.

Actually... as I am sure you know... only the cameras that are ON transmitt anything. I would assume if you have any cameras ON 24/7... they would be outside cams. Therefore anyone getting close enough to listen-in, would only hear feedback.

However... I don't think it would be too difficult to "disable" the microphone. I would try putting a like dab of play-doh, plumbers putty, modeling clay, or chalk over the little "microphone hole".

Dave,
My cameras are all inside the house, pointing out thru a window. And from what I've been reading on the web, people can just sit in their car with a video receiver and tap into all of your camera video plus audio. Is this true? Can they also turn ON the cameras if they have an x10 remote?

Where's the "microphone hole" located on the camera? I can't find it.

birdzeye

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 09:32:05 PM »

Dave I found the "microphone hole" in the x10 wiki. Disregard that part from my last post.
Thanks.

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:37:07 PM »

Dave,
My cameras are all inside the house, pointing out thru a window. And from what I've been reading on the web, people can just sit in their car with a video receiver and tap into all of your camera video plus audio. Is this true? Can they also turn ON the cameras if they have an x10 remote?

Where's the "microphone hole" located on the camera? I can't find it.

I altered a camera image and placed a BIG dot... near where you will find a tiny hole.... thats the microphone hole.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 09:41:52 PM »

... from what I've been reading on the web, people can just sit in their car with a video receiver and tap into all of your camera video plus audio. Is this true? Can they also turn ON the cameras if they have an x10 remote?

If you read that on the Web.... it must be true. However... where as it may be possible, it is also unlikely.

birdzeye

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 09:56:43 PM »

... from what I've been reading on the web, people can just sit in their car with a video receiver and tap into all of your camera video plus audio. Is this true? Can they also turn ON the cameras if they have an x10 remote?

If you read that on the Web.... it must be true. However... where as it may be possible, it is also unlikely.

Even if you're a spy from say, China, where the cameras come from in the first place? Actually kind of a clever way

to get into the homes of citizens of the biggest superpower on the planet.  ;)

But seriously, I've read many articles in newspapers ranging from Private Investigators to Law enforcement officials to high-school geeks who show how easy it is to spy on these cameras. I hope the putty over the microphone hole plugs the sound, Dave, I'm feeling paranoid now.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 06:49:32 PM »

But seriously, I've read many articles in newspapers ranging from Private Investigators to Law enforcement officials to high-school geeks who show how easy it is to spy on these cameras. I hope the putty over the microphone hole plugs the sound, Dave, I'm feeling paranoid now.

Listening in on people isn't new (or even legal... in most places). Even when I was a child Big Ear listening devices (toys) were sold... and still are.

Because of the limited range, and directional broadcast of the X10 cameras.... I would find it difficult to believe that someone could use them against you.... and NOT be seen.

If your truly worried about someone turning ON your cameras remotely don't transceive their house code. You could control them directly through PLC and use a plug-in remote to control them. You could even use AHP, and create a macro that turns on a lamp or a radio anytime a camera comes ON.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 06:54:02 PM by Dave_x10_L »

birdzeye

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 10:49:52 AM »

If your truly worried about someone turning ON your cameras remotely don't transceive their house code. You could control them directly through PLC and use a plug-in remote to control them. You could even use AHP, and create a macro that turns on a lamp or a radio anytime a camera comes ON.

Dave, thanks for the info. Could you please explain the part again about not transceiving the house code. What's PLC and a plug-in remote?

BTW interesting website link. I didn't know tear gas could be purchased over the internet! :o

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 01:14:35 PM »

The cameras are controlled by powerline signals. If you are using a remote like the CR13A it sends an RF signal to a transceiver that converts it to a powerline signal.
Some X10 Transceivers are TM751; RR501; the RF receiver in a CM15A [this one you can set which house codes are tranceived and run triggered macros].
Some of the plug in controllers from X10 are the MiniController; Maxicontroller and the new TM12A MiniTimer.

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 04:03:46 PM »

Brian H is correct! You can even turn ON (and off) your cameras using the X10 floodlights (PR511) which also sends a PLC signal instead of RF. I do that, myself.

I also use BVC to receive a verbal warning when the cameras (and most other things) are turned ON. You can see this via video on my Web Page.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:09:54 AM by Dave_x10_L »

birdzeye

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 07:49:35 PM »

I don't understand this, Dave. How would I control my cameras directly thru PLC, and for that matter what is PLC?

Brian mentioned I could use a controller like the MiniTimer. Could someone explain how I would control my camera with the MiniTimer? Would I still need the TM751 and the camera remote CR12A that I already have purchased? ???

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 10:29:36 PM »

I don't understand this, Dave. How would I control my cameras directly thru PLC, and for that matter what is PLC?

Brian mentioned I could use a controller like the MiniTimer. Could someone explain how I would control my camera with the MiniTimer? Would I still need the TM751 and the camera remote CR12A that I already have purchased? ???

X10 works just as Brian H decribed:

The cameras are controlled by powerline signals.

powerline signals= PLC

If you are using a remote like the CR13A it sends an RF signal to a transceiver that converts it to a powerline signal.

Some X10 Transceivers are TM751; RR501; the RF receiver in a CM15A [this one you can set which house codes are tranceived and run triggered macros].
Some of the plug in controllers from X10 are the MiniController; Maxicontroller and the new TM12A MiniTimer.

Plug-in remotes DON'T send RF to be converted (tranceived). Plug-in remotes produce the PLC/powerline signal directly into your household wiring. It's the line-signals that "tell" your plug-in X10 devices what to do.

birdzeye

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 10:47:48 PM »

Dave and Brian,

OK I get the PLC vs RF thing.

Does the MiniTimer and other plug-in controllers come with instructions that tell you how to use them with cameras? I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. Unplug the TM751, Plug in the MiniTimer and then what? CAn I still switch between cameras with the MiniTimer?

Hey I just read in the info for the mini controller that it acts as a transceiver for rf remote controls. I thought it wasn't supposed to do that.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:09:53 PM by birdzeye »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 07:31:17 AM »

My mini and maxi controllers; TR16A Touchtone responder and MT12A New version MiniTimer; have no RF receivers in them. I don't know how they could act as a transceiver.
Cameras work in groups of 4 House Code plus Unit Code. The Unit codes are 1-4;5-8;9-12 and 13-16. If you have lets say cameras on C1;C2:C3 and C4. Send a C1 On and the C2; C3 and C4 will turn Off automatically. If they span a group then you could have two on at the sametime and interference from two on cameras.
So with a tabletop controller to cycle cameras send a C1 on would turn off C2 C3 and C4. Send a C4 on and C1; C2 and C3 would go off. If you have only; maybe 2 cameras on C1 and C2. Send a C3 or C4 on and both would be off.
Yes that also means you have to watch things like motion sensors. Many send an off after a preset time and some have a Dusk Dawn feature that sends an On at the motion address plus 1. Like motion on C1 would send an C2 On at Dusk and a C2 off at Dawn.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.