Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CM17A, firecracker software problem  (Read 12749 times)

bkjr

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
CM17A, firecracker software problem
« on: December 07, 2007, 10:36:22 AM »

I have a couple of CM17A running on different PCs on the house, for local room use.
Some time ago, one started bombing out.
When attempting to start the Firecracker software, on one PC, I get a C++ run time error message, abnormal shut down".

I went and downloaded the lasts Firecracker software from the X10 site.

I uninstall the firecracker software, reinstall and it worked.... Until that PC is rebooted!

Every time, after the reboot, the C++ run time error is back when one attempts to launch the firecracker software... every time, if I uninstall and reinstall the firecracker software (without a reboot) it works till that one PC is rebooted.

I took that new install file I downloaded it and put it on another PC that never had the firecracker on it, and it works fine. So I don't think it's the actual copy of the installable program I just downloaded.

The CM17a is not being used as a pass through, it's the only item on that serial port.
This PC is a basic Intel Pent 4 3.0gig machine with XPhome and SP2.
Any ideas of where to look past the basic Firecracker software?
Everything else is fine on the machine seems to be fine.

TIA.
-Bob

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: CM17A, firecracker software problem
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 12:34:40 PM »

The problem sounds Like a OS issue maybe an Update messed up a windows dll file!
try doing a Check disk of the drive windows is installed on.
Make sure to check both:
    [li]Automaticaly fix file system errors [/li]
    [li]Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors[/li]

[/list]
    Note: A reboot is needed to perform these tasks and it will take some time to perform!
    Please Read Topic:
    General Forum Etiquette
    Before you post!

bkjr

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 12:49:15 PM »

Tuicemen,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've been through all of the basics and goodness, including scans for virus, spyware, malware, and used HiJack this to check for irregular entries in the registry.
    Made sure I had the latest for MSVisual C++ and the Sun Java.
    I have the same versions on the other machines, which are fine.
    The only thing that particular machine was lacking was IE 7, still had IE6 on it, since I primarily use FF. I updated IE on the machine, still same problem.

I agree it sounds like a .dll that's "different" enough, or some conflict of sorts with something else using the VB environment maybe. If I remember correctly, (it's taken me a bit to get around to posting a Q about the problem here since I've been tinkering with the problem) it was a MSVisual C++ run time error.

I was hoping someone new just what parts of each was used, what .dll's to look for or try replacing.

There's nothing else on the PC that bombs, all works well and it's clean.

I've been googling it to death, and haven't found any other posting about it anywhere, and I searched here a bunch before posting.

Seems like I have an odd problem.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 12:55:38 PM by bkjr »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 12:54:01 PM »

Have you tried any of the other free software for the CM17A?
    If they experiance the same problem it might help track down the offending DLL! ;)
    Please Read Topic:
    General Forum Etiquette
    Before you post!

bkjr

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 12:57:47 PM »

Have you tried any of the other free software for the CM17A?
    If they experiance the same problem it might help track down the offending DLL! ;)

No I haven't just the firecracker software.
    What other free software will work with the CM17A for control of the x10 light switches and lamp modules?

TIA
    Bob

bkjr

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 01:00:18 PM »

Here's the screen cap of the error message....

bkjr

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 01:08:42 PM »

I have X10 Active home pro on this PC, my main workhorse. But the AHPro module isn't run live with AHPro on the machine.. the moduel is off on it's own in an outlet.

I used to have Firecracker on this machine too,  But took it off.

I just tried installing it on this machine and that's where I got exactly the same error message...
    So now it's two machines.
    Darn if I could figure out what the main difference was between them. I use all the same software on all the machines.

Hope I just didn't break  AHPro by trying to install the firecracker!..
    I'll have to grap the module from the outlet it resides in and fire it up.

(EDIT>>) AHPro works fine.. just Firecracker that's has the same error as the other machine.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 01:11:56 PM by bkjr »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    « Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 01:14:31 PM »

Ah! there is the problem! ;)
    AHP and Firecracker can't be loaded on the same machine!
    The AHP software overwrites files needed for Firecracker and makes it unusable!
    Try an other freeware progrram for the CM17A Firewox works well with the AHP software installed on the same machine! ;)
    Please Read Topic:
    General Forum Etiquette
    Before you post!

bkjr

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 01:25:03 PM »

Ah! there is the problem! ;)
    AHP and Firecracker can't be loaded on the same machine!
    The AHP software overwrites files needed for Firecracker and makes it unusable!
    Try an other freeware progrram for the CM17A Firewox works well with the AHP software installed on the same machine! ;)

Ok, so that explains this, my work horse machine I just tried it on - which has the AHPro on it.
    But not the other machine in the other room where this problem first showed it's ugly head, it's never had any X10 software on it but Firecracker.

Thanks for the link and other program, I'll give it whirl and post results.

-Bob

bkjr

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 01:41:14 PM »

Fireworx works on this machine (the one with AHPro), just need to get a chance to put it on the other machine and give it a whirl.
    I'm assuming the problem on this machine is the AHPro as you say.
    And some .dll as we both think on the other.

This machine with AHPro, doesn't act the same... when I installed Firecracker, it didn't work at all. Didn't have to wait for a re-boot for the problem to show it's ugly head.
    The other machine, firecracker works right after installing it, then breakes after a re-boot of the PC.

Certianly not the nice interface of the PalmPad that the Firecracker offers!

Are there any others you could suggest that are inlines of what the firecracker virtual palm pad is?

it's great on the desk top of the 'puter.

tnx
    -Bob

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    « Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 01:47:25 PM »

I just checked my software back ups and find I have 2 installers for the Firecracker which one have you been trying?
    The one named Xfire.exe seems to be my most recent add!
    I have firecracker installed on my AHP machine and don't get the error but it won't work on this machine (works on my others without AHP installed)
    On the machine that has no other X10 software installed uninstall Firecracker then delete its folder as well as the folder
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\x10, get a new copy of the FireCracker installer then reinstall! The other CM17A software  (Firewox) won't be afected!
    There are some other freeware programs out there doing a google search for CM17A will turn some up!
    Possibly even some with a nicer user interface! ;)
    Please Read Topic:
    General Forum Etiquette
    Before you post!

bkjr

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 02:22:12 PM »

I'm googling now and yes found  a few, one that's free, another that seems to have been a take off of the other you suggested but with a palmpad style interface, but $30.

I've tried deleting all the files in the PF\CF\X10 directory on the other machine when I was tinkering with the problem.
    I noticed that the uninstal wasn't deleting certain files there.
    My feeling is, but I can't catch 'em on the install messages as they go flying by, that Firecracker is putting a few files somewhere else other than the directory we're talking about and PF\Firecracker.... Which isn't much but a log and shortcut, so nothing there of any thing to delete.

bkjr

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 11:14:41 PM »

Update....
    On the PC without the AHPro:
    I found another version of the Firecracker software on the X10 site, that is NOT Linked on their software download page, but rather on the Firecracker Product/Sales page.
    I installed that one, and it works on the PC without AHPro. But still bombs on the one with AHPro, as you said it would Tuicemen.

The one on the download page
    http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm
     is named...
    xfire.exe
    It's the one that would work right after install, but bomb after rebooting the machine and produce the error above.

The one that worked has a link on this page:
    http://www.x10.com/automation/ck18a_s_ps32.html
    (and a few other pages have the link to the same file to download the same file name...)
    and is named...
    ck18a.exe
    After doing a clean install of this file, the virtual Palm Pad hasn't failed to open after rebooting the PC.

X10 folks... you have a problem on your website....!!!

Now,
    I found a real fun project.
    I'm not a programmer, just a EE, but I've taught myself in the past some basics with PHP, JAVA, and I've been doing webdesign since 95....
    So I'm no programmer, but I figure things out it out and this one was worth doing, it was fun in the end...
    Here's a MS VB project to make your own custom desktop Firecracker controller. You only need to invest some time and a down load of
    MS Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition, which is FREE!

Then download the project files from this page:
    http://www.rentron.com/FireCracker.htm
     Which also walks you through it a bit. I didn't need any of that info, more so was learning the structure of the buttons, windows, and commands and how MS VB editor worked.
    I just wanted On and Off control. The gent that did it has all the required communication instructions for the Firecracker's on and off and dim and brighten.

The sample project files were done in an older MSVB editor, but the new one will import them and with about an hour of some self tutoring and picking and hacking, I made what I needed from it. Adding Fields and buttons for unit codes, and have the unit codes and house codes preset to where I want them for each PC, for each room. But still left the drop down window of temporary changes are needed for a unit code or house code. The fun part is, it's easy to totally make a new one, edit or change, and just plop the new one on the machine.
    I left a couple of spare channels.

To run the .exe you'll make from the MSVB project, you need .NET Framework 2.0 (you can down load it through auto update for MS XP, 2.0 and 3.0 are available, I took 2.0 since that was what was recommended and installed it on the other machine)(or go straight to here.. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en).

On the machine you installed the MSVB2008 on, you'll get the .NET Framework with it.. but to run what you built on a different machine, you'll need the .NET Framework on that different machine.

It ain't as pretty as the virtual Palm Pad, but it's fun and works with the AHPro installed.
    Here's two I made... (The pull down adjustable windows, you can set the presets on them, so they are what you want them to be as their defaults when it starts up - no need to readjust each time)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    « Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 04:13:14 PM »

bkjr :
    Thanks for sharing your finds! ;)
    Nice to know exactly which firecracker file was causing the problem!
    You get a helpful from me for that! ;)
    As for the projects you've created!
    Don't stop playing! You'll find the way to create an interface that looks even better then the PlamPad interface, or at least the same!
    Hint: Play with the picture box and hiding form1!  ;)
    Please Read Topic:
    General Forum Etiquette
    Before you post!

bkjr

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 05:07:12 PM »

Tuicemen ,
    Thanks for the help and feedback.

Yea, the ck18a.exe, worked just fine on the PC without the AHPro.
    At the same time I had gotten the custom controller working as well.
    Ok well.

Thanks for the tip, I started playing with some of the features in the "properties" to see what they do.

I'll peek into the one you mentioned. I guess that combined with a "background" pix of my choice, and hiding form1, we get the image as the item, just not the background.. cool.   My daughter would probably like one looking like an Ipod.

I happen to like the palm pad to be honest. So if I can emulate something like that, that would be cool.

I found some example code for sending the application to the notifcation tray. But I don't have it working yet.
    Spent some time on it last night. I need to learn a lot more to get the example code migrated into my project.

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
    © Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.