Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Editing ahx files  (Read 85290 times)

csnet

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
Editing ahx files
« on: December 23, 2007, 09:52:12 PM »

I used advanced search to search for any existing topic about editing ahx files and could not find any.

Tonight I edited a backup copy of my main ahx file using NotePad by cutting and pasting to sort the rooms and macros in the order I want to see them displayed in the left pane of AHP.  That is, I cut and pasted XML tag thru XML end tag, such as <room> thru </room> and <macro> thru </macro>, making sure to keep the results within the existing <rooms> thru </rooms> and <macros> thru </macros> tags.

I opened the modified file with AHP and it did not seem to "mind" the edits and everything is sorted the way I want it to be.  Then I did some modifications and additions in AHP.  When I saved the changes, I noticed AHP had preserved the new order of the rooms and macros and assigned the next available ID numbers to the new modules and new room I had added, just as I had hoped.

So, while direct editing with NotePad on the XML ahx file seems to work fine so far and seems like a nice solution for anyone who has wanted a way to sort the left pane of AHP, does anyone know of any "gotchas" that happen when doing this kind of direct editing?

CAUTION:  If anyone wants to experiment with direct ahx file editing, be sure you do so on a COPY of your working and tested ahx file.  That way if anything goes wrong, you will always have the original file to fall back on.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Editing ahx files
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 09:04:26 AM »

csnet:   There are other posts on editing AHX files with a text editor but they are usually buried deep in other threads( some very old)! I like the Idea of editing the rooms so they appear in order you wish as the first room I added has the least modules in it and AHP always defaults to that room!
I Gave you a helpful for that! Hopefully others will add their ideas here so all AHX edit ideas can be found in one thread!
Cheers & Happy Hollidays!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

EL34

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • My X-10 projects
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 09:08:08 AM »

I have edited my ahx file also.
It's nice to have the left pane in the order that you like.  ;D
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008
My X10 page-> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/home/X10_0.htm

csnet

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 01:16:46 PM »

Thanks for the kind words.

This morning I noticed in the interface that the irrigation timers that trigger L11 showed that they were triggering M3 instead.  They used to trigger M3, but I had edited the macro trigger in the interface a week ago to L11 and never noticed that the Timer section of the AHP interface never updated to reflect the change.  This trigger editing using the AHP interface was done before I started experimenting with editing the ahx file directly.

Showing M3 did not affect the CM15A operation because the timers did switch to triggering L11 when I changed the macro trigger, even though the interface states the timers are triggering M3. 

It looks like the trigger shown in parenthesis is cosmetic and does not affect operation, but it can be misleading.

I found the value behind the House Code/Unit Number shown in parenthesis is the integer value of 'timer address" in the <timers> section of the ahx file.  Starting at 0 for "A1", each house code is 16 digits and each unit number is a single digit, so to translate a house code to an timer address integer:

M is the 13th letter of the alphabet, so
M3 = (13 - 1) * 16 + (3 - 1) = 194

L is the 12th letter of the alphabet, so
L11 = (12 -1) * 16 + (11 - 1) = 186

One can add new timers using the interface and delete the old ones that show the wrong trigger, however, editing the "timer address" directly using NotePad will do the trick quickly.

EL34

• My X-10 projects
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 04:47:02 PM »

I have all my rooms nice and organized but I really would like to control the items under the rooms section in the left pane.

When I open AHP 3.204 the rooms, modules, macros, timer camera's and media section are all expanded.
I don't need the x10 modules, timers, camera and media sections expanded.

I only want my rooms and macros sections expanded and the rest of them colapsed.
Looked around for some sort of config file settings but couldn't find one.
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008

csnet

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 06:44:11 PM »

I only want my rooms and macros sections expanded and the rest of them collapsed.
Looked around for some sort of config file settings but couldn't find one.

I couldn't find any config for that either.  Somehow, AHP remembers for the right pane the last room that was open or All Rooms if that was what was open.  Other than that, it seems to always open the same way, just as you say, with all items in the left pane expanded.

EL34

• My X-10 projects
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 07:54:37 AM »

Yeah, what a pain.  :D
I really don't need to see the x10 modules on the left pane.
Takes up way too much real estate and I have to colapse the left pane every time I open ahp

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 08:34:20 AM »

I leave Active Home Pro the way it is.  The left pane is the room list the module list and the timer list, the right pane is where the modules appear in the rooms they are in. That's pretty much what Active Home did, and how most of the control software for the CP290 was.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

EL34

• My X-10 projects
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 09:20:45 AM »

I am not trying to delete any left pane items.

I am just saying that there should be a way to save your screen display preferences.
If I want to have the left pane selections collapsed, AHP should remember the way I like my screen set up.

PierreP

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 06:06:35 PM »

Dear csnet and others
When I read this thread, I realized that I'm not alone to put order in macros(essential if macro call macro).
Then, I programmed a little utility software(48kb) that put order in rooms and macros.
I did it in the purpose to share it with you, but I don't know how to do.
If you have any suggestion, I will be glad to share it with you and I think you will appreciate.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 06:50:10 PM »

Dear csnet and others
When I read this thread, I realized that I'm not alone to put order in macros(essential if macro call macro).
Then, I programmed a little utility software(48kb) that put order in rooms and macros.
I did it in the purpose to share it with you, but I don't know how to do.
If you have any suggestion, I will be glad to share it with you and I think you will appreciate.
I always enjoy seeing other members creating programs for the others to use!
You could use one of the many free website hosting sites to make your program available!
I have limited space on mine at the moment but I might be able to host your program until you find a more permanent arrangement! ;) :D ;D
If you dig into my profile you'll find an e-mail address you can send the file to and I'll host it! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

csnet

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 07:12:29 PM »

Tuicemen, I have extra room and will be happy to host the file long term. 

Pierre, I have created a temporary email account that I will leave up until I receive your file or until it is found by spammers, whichever comes first   :)

PierreMail@csnetserver.com

I think your program will be a help to anyone who is not comfortable editing the file directly.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 08:50:29 PM »

PierreP 2 thumbs up on your utility program  ;D

I also have space and would be happy to put a download link on my Home Automation Chat Page   (plug plug)

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

csnet

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 12:28:09 AM »

Pierre, I got your email but only the readme.txt file was delivered, any exe was deleted by the mail server.  I replied to you, but I just got a delivery failure notice "Reason: Remote host said: 452 try later"

Please put all files needed in a zip file and try sending it again.   I will post a link to the zip file here after I move it to the web server. 

Thank-you!

PierreP

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 10:46:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.