Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do not use Housecode "A" or "M" ?  (Read 5093 times)

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Do not use Housecode "A" or "M" ?
« on: December 31, 2007, 01:04:22 PM »

HI all...
Somewhere within the bowels of this forum I recall reading that Housecodes A and M should be avoided.  Now I can't find that reference or the underlying rationale behind it.

I have a DS7000 set on housecode M, unit 13, with 9 door/window sensors.
That system seems to be working fine, but now my X10 lamp modules now work sporadically.  I also have the CM15A and wonder if it's somehow picking up the RF from the DS7000 and flooding the powerline signals?  I use a Signalinc coupler/repeater on the electric dryer and notice the red "receive" led's are flashing almost constantly.

The obvious is to change the housecode on the DS7000, which I'm planning to do.

Still, I'm curious as to the "why" advice to not use Housecode M?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Do not use Housecode "A" or "M" ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 01:28:42 PM »

People avoid HC "A" because sensors will, at least sometimes, default to HC "A" when their batteries become weak.

People avoid HC "M" because if the dial completely fails or comes off a device it will default to HC "M".

Personally I stay away from HC "A" but have used and continue to use HC "M" without any problems.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 02:10:29 PM »

Personally I stay away from HC "A" but have used and continue to use HC "M" without any problems.

I use house code A in my office.... because it is the default code! Admittedly I have a small office... and a very limited set-up there. But it allows me to test most X10 devices "out-of-the-box" as many come pre-set to A1.

Also... if you have a motion sensor that isn't easy to get to.... at least at battery replacement time, you don't need to re-set the house/unit code if you use A1.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dahur

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:10:52 PM »

Plus, if your neighbors get X10, they will probably use "A" for their stuff, and that might get to your devices too.

Geewiz

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 03:18:22 PM »

Thanks, all!

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 05:44:41 PM »

That system seems to be working fine, but now my X10 lamp modules now work sporadically.  I also have the CM15A and wonder if it's somehow picking up the RF from the DS7000 and flooding the powerline signals?  I use a Signalinc coupler/repeater on the electric dryer and notice the red "receive" led's are flashing almost constantly.

Oops... looks like the real issue nearly slipped by...

YES! You ARE (very likely) flooding your powerline with signals. You should make sure your CM15A isn't transceiving whatever code you use on the DS7000. And since your using the Signalinc coupler/repeater.... it might not be a bad idea to have BOTH the DS7000 and the CM15A on the same phase... if that is convenient.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 05:55:00 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Geewiz

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 07:16:44 PM »

Oops... looks like the real issue nearly slipped by...

YES! You ARE (very likely) flooding your powerline with signals. You should make sure your CM15A isn't transceiving whatever code you use on the DS7000. And since your using the Signalinc coupler/repeater.... it might not be a bad idea to have BOTH the DS7000 and the CM15A on the same phase... if that is convenient.

Okay, my understanding is being stressed here :)  How do I make sure my CM15A ISN'T transceiving the code used on the DS7000?

Thanks!

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 08:09:22 PM »

Okay, my understanding is being stressed here :)  How do I make sure my CM15A ISN'T transceiving the code used on the DS7000?

Tuicemen wrote a GREAT primer on the AHP... click here for all the well written info (and links) you might need.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.