Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: house codes and unit codes  (Read 21282 times)

Russie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
house codes and unit codes
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:51:09 AM »

Russie here,
Does anyone have a good working setup for their house codes and unit codes for a complete complex system?
I have Protector Plus on house code A , Four Cameras on house code C , Many light and appliance modules on codes A,B and P.
I have AHP,Onalert,Myhouse Online,and Smart Macros.
I Seem to be starting to be getting things messed up (like  house code A is full  with unit codes as I have Motion sensors and I lose the next unit code up from what it is set!) My security ( Onalert) uses some of these codes on House Code A because the Protector Plus Console is on House code A. 
Is there someone who has a good neat setup for all these codes?
P.S. I also have a Palm Pad remote which can send all 256 Codes by switching the HC setting all the way from A to P
Thanks
Russie

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: house codes and unit codes
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »

Russie
Welcome aboard! ;)
there are a few threads in the forums that you will find useful ;)
Rather then me trying to list them all read my Topic: X10 Issues? Please Read This First!  (Read 24902 times) , as well as TakeTheActive's Topic: TTA's X10 Troubleshooting Tips Thread [Updated: 2007/03/05]  (Read 11117 times)
You'll find links to helpful info in both these threads! ;)
In the thread by TakeTheActive is a post on housecode organization! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 12:27:45 PM »

Where is TakeThe Active ?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:59:55 PM »

Does anyone have a good working setup for their house codes and unit codes for a complete complex system?
I have Protector Plus on house code A , Four Cameras on house code C , Many light and appliance modules on codes A,B and P.

I wonder.... do you mean.... do people organize codes by letter association? C for Cameras, A for Alarm, G for Ghost modules and so on? Or do people use room/letter association K for Kitchen, B for Bedroom, L for living room?

I am not sure that is something I have ever seen... or read about here.

If it helps.... I am an AHP user... and I organize codes by function or (macro) rooms. The letters don't really matter so much (to me). I also like to skip letters... for no particular reason than that's just me. I don't think I would like mixing my K's with my B's. But if my room full of B's used up all 16 codes... I would find C OK.

I also like to keep a paper-based list of codes and what they are associated with/to. (But the paper may just be because I am old.)

But if you read through some of the links Tuicemen provided... you will see why some avoid house codes A and M.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 03:38:11 PM »

I wonder.... do you mean.... do people organize codes by letter association? C for Cameras, A for Alarm, G for Ghost modules and so on? Or do people use room/letter association K for Kitchen, B for Bedroom, L for living room?

I am not sure that is something I have ever seen... or read about here.

That is basically, what I did.

C for Cameras, M for Macros, etc.

This allows me to have a remote that covers that partition.  I mean, I can have a remote, complete with appropriate labels, for just my cameras.  Another, just for my macros.

There is nothing within X10 that requires one to partition like this.  However, one does have to partition it somehow due to the limitation of just one house code per handheld controller.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:41:18 PM by Walt2 »
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 06:26:13 PM »

That is basically, what I did.

C for Cameras, M for Macros, etc.

This allows me to have a remote that covers that partition.  I mean, I can have a remote, complete with appropriate labels, for just my cameras.  Another, just for my macros.

My 1st X10 project was my Home Theater.... so of course I skipped letter "A"... and used letter "B". (there is no "T'" in X10). And like Walt2's set-up, that area received it's own PalmPad remote. The theater lights and [theater related] macros all live in the "theater (room)" in AHP.

The next project.... I automatically started using the "D" house code.. and so on. I have since taken to using the "A" code for my office. Originally the office was part of another code... but I changed it to the X10 default code so I could test items just out-of-the-box.

The bad part of creating a remote of each project/room/function... in my case... was not all of them used enough unit codes to require much of a remote. So I did create a "Ghost room" (using the "G" code) which allows me to consolidate simple forwarding macros. That allows me to have a PalmPad that covers those areas.

Most regular visitors to the forums know I am BVC user. And of course... that has effected the "remote use". Actually, the main reason I created the consolidated Ghost/macros/PalmPad... was I realized that some regularly used "Voice Commands"... had no "button equivalent". As my macros have improved, along with the use of Bill's Voice Commander... I have found that more-and-more the remotes stay in the drawer. And I ether use a voice command... or things happen automatically... and my Kate Voice tells me what is happening.

PLEASE NOTE: I am sharing this about my set-up... not because I think I have it right. But because like Russie... I wonder if there isn't a better way. My way feels sorta thrown together... and less than well thought out. I would (like Russie) enjoy reading about how others organize their set-ups.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:24:59 AM by Dave_x10_L »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 08:23:47 PM »

Apparently no longer posting. The last post by TakeTheActive was October of 2007.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 01:47:34 PM »

Actually it isn't uncommon for users to take long breaks from the forum! Many take up other hobbies or have health problems and return after long periods off!
TTA's health is improving, and he is taking a break from posting (enjoying life)!  ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 04:33:16 PM »

Actually it isn't uncommon for users to take long breaks from the forum! Many take up other hobbies or have health problems and return after long periods off!
TTA's health is improving, and he is taking a break from posting (enjoying life)!  ;)

Thank you for the update.  I was getting concerned.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

trol1374

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 06:26:21 PM »

Not to hijack the thread, but my question is along the same line.    I'm running AHP with the cm15.   I have a rr501 to reach out.   I'm new to all this and slowly expand my system as I get one thing working.   
  I now need to use a different house code to control switches and such.  Do I need to plug in another RR501 with that new code to "reach" those areas if the cm15 doesn't?

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 08:32:34 PM »

...............................Do I need to plug in another RR501 with that new code to "reach" those areas if the cm15 doesn't?

There isn't a quick easy answer for that.

It's sad the CM15A doesn't have the (out-of-the-box) range it should have. But it can be very easy to "enhance" the RF reception. If an antenna mod doesn't help... a whole house all code transceiver would be the way to go. However... if your using the RR501 to make-up for a phase issue. You may want to look at (at least) a phase coupler.

trol1374

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 09:58:29 PM »

As stated I'm a complete newbie and have been trying to read the threads to look for potential problems and concerns as I go, so I know what to do and expect.  I read about the phase and coupler issues and was sweating if I had to deal with it.  I did a test throughout the house at each plug and didn't have a phase/coupling issue.  I have now installed switches in various places of the house and all can be controlled.   
  I thought (maybe I read wrong) I could plug in a RR501 to help "reception".  This has seemed to work just fine, but it is only one house code and I'm needing more.   Hence my question about do I buy and plug in another RR501 with the next series of house codes?  Or do I do the mod to assist with the range issues?  I have a two story house, 4 bedrooms and covers about 2800 sq ft.
  I love the palm remote.  Maybe I'm trying to overkill and put so much control on the remote.  I wanted individual control of lights in 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, lights in living room, kitchen, and outside. 
  I'm now tackling a series of events to occur with one press of the button, but I haven't had success with macro's, BUT I'm still reading the threads on that issue to see what my problem is.
  Am I wrong with using the 501?

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 10:36:32 PM »

Am I wrong with using the 501?

No. Not at all... the RR501 is a fine transceiver! But you may be accidentally covering both phases by having a transceiver on each phase (the CM15A and the RR501). Where it would be more desireable... to have one transceiver and couple the phases. If RF reception by the CM15A is the problem... many have corrected this with ether a antenna mod... or one whole house RF transceiver.

P.S. the Underlined blue-bold words are links.

trol1374

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 12:52:14 AM »

Hmmm, ok guess that does answer my question.   I need to read up on doing the mod to the cm15 and NOT add the 501's due to possible conflicts?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 06:44:04 AM »

The other thought maybe turn off the CM15A for all codes and try a WGL V572A All House Code Tranceiver. Though it can be programed to do only some house codes. Let us know if you can't find details or have questions.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.