Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New WS467 has problem with turn on brightening and and and  (Read 6876 times)

edbush

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New WS467 has problem with turn on brightening and and and
« on: January 30, 2008, 09:04:16 PM »

After working on an issue with my WS467 wall switch where I can't get the timer to turn on the switch but it would turn off via timer if you manually turn on the switch and wait for the off time to cycle.  All functions work manually from the computer AHP without fail.  With remote control module you can't turn on the switch or brighter it but can turn off and dim fine.  I purchased a replacement switch in order to verify the switch operation as not being a problem and the new one works exactly the same way.

Now here is the next kick in the teeth, instead of identifying the WS467 I changed the module to a XPD3 decorator dimmer switch and the WS467 now turns on/off via timer as it is supposed to.  I have not tried a macro control but would expect it to work fine and will try this weekend. 
PROBLEM:  There is an issue with the selection of the XPD3 however and that is that even though the switch is a dimmer module there is no slider to accomplish this and as I have not verified if the switch selection is workable in macros I don't know if dimming within the macro will work or not.

I hope that someone in X10 support reads this and will try to fix these issues as phoning in doesn't accomplish anything other than someone reading a script from the screen something that doesn't make sense based on what you have told them.

Good luck to all and hope this helps someone else.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: New WS467 has problem with turn on brightening and and and
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:50:26 PM »

After working on an issue with my WS467 wall switch where I can't get the timer to turn on the switch but it would turn off via timer if you manually turn on the switch and wait for the off time to cycle.  All functions work manually from the computer AHP without fail.  With remote control module you can't turn on the switch or brighter it but can turn off and dim fine.  I purchased a replacement switch in order to verify the switch operation as not being a problem and the new one works exactly the same way.

Now here is the next kick in the teeth, instead of identifying the WS467 I changed the module to a XPD3 decorator dimmer switch and the WS467 now turns on/off via timer as it is supposed to.  I have not tried a macro control but would expect it to work fine and will try this weekend. 
PROBLEM:  There is an issue with the selection of the XPD3 however and that is that even though the switch is a dimmer module there is no slider to accomplish this and as I have not verified if the switch selection is workable in macros I don't know if dimming within the macro will work or not.

I hope that someone in X10 support reads this and will try to fix these issues as phoning in doesn't accomplish anything other than someone reading a script from the screen something that doesn't make sense based on what you have told them.

Good luck to all and hope this helps someone else.

Program the WS467 instead as an LM14A and the timer will work.  The downside is that the icon will not reflect the status of the module, if that's important to you.

An alternative is to stick with it as a WS467 and program two macros controlled by a timer - an On macro and an Off macro.  But you must also do this:  Go to Tools > Preferences > (tab)Macro and make sure the box is checked which says "Use On instead of Brighten 100%".

The big hangup with the new WS467 is that AHP normally turns On a dimmer module by issuing a Brighten 100% signal.  But the new WS467 (unlike the original) will not brighten from the Off state unless it first receives an On signal.

(Maybe one of these years X-10 will get its house in order regarding the new WS467 and AHP, but don't hold your breath.)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

edbush

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:39:46 AM »

I guess I should have added that no other selections of switches will work to turn on.  This was tried as one of the first selections.  The only one that will turn on the WS467 is the XPD3.  Thanks for the try of info but I tried all and any modules in an effort to get this to turn on and then to find that the slider is missing in this selection but at least now it cycles with a timer and I don't have to run to the switch to turn dalily.  Again thanks.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:33:37 PM »

I guess I should have added that no other selections of switches will work to turn on.  This was tried as one of the first selections.  The only one that will turn on the WS467 is the XPD3.  Thanks for the try of info but I tried all and any modules in an effort to get this to turn on and then to find that the slider is missing in this selection but at least now it cycles with a timer and I don't have to run to the switch to turn dalily.  Again thanks.

Hmm... As far as I can see the XPD3 in AHP works exactly the same as an XPS3 appliance switch (or any appliance module like an AM486) - it sends only  On and Off signals.  (Yet another bug in AHP.)

If you press and release the button on the physical switch to turn it On, then press and hold the button for a few seconds, does the lamp start to dim?

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

edbush

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:57:01 PM »

Yes this works properly both dimming and brightening manually via the push button.  By all logical ways the switch should work but will not which is why I spent over a month testing and eliminating all possible interference or signal issues as well as the use of the old 11a AH controller and the new 15a AHP with the same results.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:42:19 PM »

Yes this works properly both dimming and brightening manually via the push button.  By all logical ways the switch should work but will not which is why I spent over a month testing and eliminating all possible interference or signal issues as well as the use of the old 11a AH controller and the new 15a AHP with the same results.

Have you used an incandescent bulb > 60 Watts in the fixture controlled by the WS467?   If so, I'm at a loss trying to figure out what could be going on here.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

edbush

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 11:19:11 AM »

I'm not sure what this matters but this circuit has two, front porch lights, 60 watt bulbs that the WS467 is controlling and the rating of the switch is 500w?  If this was an issue of having more than 60w then the selection of another type of switch should have no effect?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »

No Ed,
I believe what Charles is referring to is:
all of the two wire X10 switches (WS467, WS12, etc) draws their operating power through the load. If the load bulb is too small (wattage wise) the switch does not get enough power and the ON operation can become erratic. I believe X10 recommends a minimum of a 40 watt bulb, although I am using WS467's to control CFL bulbs with a 25 Watt incandescent as a ballest bulb and this setup is giving reliable operation. (Sorry I just went off on a tangent...happens when you get old. Charles is just referring to minimum bulb wattage for reliable operation and has nothing to do with the 500W maximum rating)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 02:16:13 PM »

No Ed,
I believe what Charles is referring to is:
all of the two wire X10 switches (WS467, WS12, etc) draws their operating power through the load. If the load bulb is too small (wattage wise) the switch does not get enough power and the ON operation can become erratic. I believe X10 recommends a minimum of a 40 watt bulb, although I am using WS467's to control CFL bulbs with a 25 Watt incandescent as a ballest bulb and this setup is giving reliable operation. (Sorry I just went off on a tangent...happens when you get old. Charles is just referring to minimum bulb wattage for reliable operation and has nothing to do with the 500W maximum rating)

Dave and Ed:
Yes, that's what I was referring to.  I should have explained further as Dave did.

What's weird is that the WS467 responds only when programmed as a XPD3 although there are other types. e.g.  XPS3 or an appliance module, which also send the same On and Off signals (as verified with a CM11A on a different PC).

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

edbush

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 03:50:51 PM »

This is why it has driven me crazy trying to resolve this for over a month.  Everything seems to work manually fine and if you review most of the forum of recent WS467 issues they are really all saying similar if not the same thing as I have run into.  I turned everything off in the breaker box except one  breaker that had the 15a on and another that had the WS467 on and received the same results to eliminate noise, coupling to no change.  Nothing on the circuits other than the two items identified and finally talked with a tech/dealer in Chicago area that suggested the trying of all the modules until we got to the XPD3 and it worked fine with the exception of the slider being available, which is another problem to address.  I have several other X10 devices throughout the home that don't have any issues but not are WS467's so if it were an issue of environment I would expect something to show some type of issue?

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »

This is why it has driven me crazy trying to resolve this for over a month.  Everything seems to work manually fine and if you review most of the forum of recent WS467 issues they are really all saying similar if not the same thing as I have run into.  I turned everything off in the breaker box except one  breaker that had the 15a on and another that had the WS467 on and received the same results to eliminate noise, coupling to no change.  Nothing on the circuits other than the two items identified and finally talked with a tech/dealer in Chicago area that suggested the trying of all the modules until we got to the XPD3 and it worked fine with the exception of the slider being available, which is another problem to address.  I have several other X10 devices throughout the home that don't have any issues but not are WS467's so if it were an issue of environment I would expect something to show some type of issue?

Ed,
Is there any way you can plug the CM15A into the same branch circuit as the WS467 using a long extension cord?

If not and it's really bugging you, remove the WS467 from its present location and wire it up with a cheap extension cord cut in half.  (Or cut only the extension zip-cord hot lead and connect the switch between the two ends of the cut with the provided wire nuts.)   Then you can test it like a plug-in lamp module in the same receptacle as the CM15A.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

EJNIV

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 09:09:56 AM »

I just wanted to say thanks to Ed and others for your helpful posts in this thread.  I was having the same problem (a WS467 died and would not turn off at the switch and had installed a new WS467).  Macros didn't work, cursing didn't work, but Ed's suggestion to use the XPD3 configuration instead of WS467 apparently was the key.  All lights on and off as scheduled. I did add a macro just in case; maybe superstitious behavior helps too.

Since X10's tech support never responded, I appreciate the helpful ideas posted on this forum.

Thanks so much.

Another Ed ...

cnpalmer

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 03:09:20 PM »

I am expericing the same problem with the new decorator dimmer switches.

It seems these too have the new softstart ON & OFF feature as well as the memory for the DIM setting.

My issue is very similar where I cannot get the switch to respond through AHP & my CM15A. The switch works just fine manually, ON, OFF, DIM (up & down) etc.

I have about a 5% usccess rate at getting the switch to turn ON from AHP. However, once ON, the switch responds fine to DIM controls and the OFF function. Also, if I switch the module OFF in AHP and the light starts to DIM OFF, I can turn it back ON before the DIM completes and it returns to normal brightness.

I have tried various modules in AHP and have the same results. I'd like to see AHP updated to reflect these new changes in the switches or provide new modules that address these new features natively in a switch module so there is no mickey mouse macro setup etc.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.