Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: General Ideas for X10 Reactions  (Read 11705 times)

jhp7894

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
General Ideas for X10 Reactions
« on: February 03, 2008, 05:13:01 PM »

Just random ideas I think of that use X10. Feel free to add your own.

Alarm Clock:
Use timers and macros to wake you up each day with all your lights flashing and maybe the power horn siren...

Christmas:
Make your lights controllable online using Active Home and modules for each light set.
Maybe make Music Macros that control your lights to the sound of music (similar to my Movie Macro idea lower down)

Halloween:
Dim your lights randomly for a nice effect.
Control Leaf Blowers
Control Smoke Machines
Control Everything really

Movies:
Macro Movies
You have probably seen those "4D" attractions at theme parks where they have extra lights, fans, water, and vibrating seats in addition to a 3D movie. Now I am thinking, why not use X10 to do the same thing in your home with a general set of rules we would all use in order to let us all share macros that control a standardized list of devices. We would use the M house code (for Movie) and have:
M1 = Reserved for theater lighting such as the overhead lights and ground running lights (should not be used in the macros)
M2 = Left Side Strobe Light
M3 = Right Side Strobe Light
M4 = Left Side Lamp
M5 = Right Side Lamp
M6 = Left Side Fan
M7 = Right Side Fan
M8 = Massage Chair thing (I am thinking those ones that you just put on top of an existing chair)
This idea would generally only work for SciFi and Action movies, but that is what we all care about anyways right?
I am going to try to script a macro for a movie and see how it goes, I may have to write a program in PHP to handle all the events, or pay somebody to make a small application that will play the macros with a delay starting out equivalent to the delay between a command being sent and a module turning on. So you would calibrate, then hit play on the movie and your computer at the same time and enjoy the show/experience.
 Other Possible things to add to the experience would be a smoke machine with a universal module to control the switch that lets out smoke. Heat Lamps for when there is an explosion in movies. A slightly modified water pik (dental device that sprays water to clean your teeth in place of flossing) to mist water (or I guess you could just have it spray you).

Sports:
When a team scores, set off a police beacon light or any other lights.

Stocks:
Have a red and a green light with a module for each. Control which is on based on how your stocks are generally doing.

Weather:
Have a red and blue light with a module for each. Control the dim of each based on the current temperature. May want to put the lights in a black box to make it easier to see.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:50:49 PM by jhp7894 »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: General Ideas for X10 Reactions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 08:56:26 PM »

Was looking for a good place to post this... and this looks like a good one.

Recently, in KDR's Home Automation Chat[/b][/url] us guys got to joking around... and one of the guys (steven r) came up with the idea of a "automated recliner". Well I am always open to a new idea... I mean ... who isn't.

So I installed a DS10A Door/Window Sensor on my recliner. Then I configured it in AHP using the OnAlert Plug-in. Of course... being a BVC user (and BIG BVC Fan)... BVC became a corner-stone of the project. If you haven't read about Bill's Voice Commander here at the forums yet... you should. I used the recliner and BVC to get voice announcements, like TV program reminders, weather condition announcements, and a bedtime reminder.

I originally created a series of "Automated Chair" YouTube Videos.... to show the chair in action. But just edited them all into one YouTube The Automated Chair (the movie). This isn't serious Home Automation.... this is serious good FUN.

This is still a work in progress! I recently got a USB-UIRT, which allows BVC to also control IR devices (like TV remotes). I am planning on configuring the "Chair" to turn on the local news (after giving me local weather conditions in the morning). Plus, remember my favorite TV programs (which it does now) and actually change the TV channels for me if I confirm the offer to do so. And of course... the bedtime reminder macro... will include shutting the TV off if I was to fall asleep in my recliner (like that would ever happen).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:56:32 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.