Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Garage Door Macro Help  (Read 5118 times)

longbow22

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Garage Door Macro Help
« on: February 28, 2008, 05:55:45 PM »

I currently have a UM506 Universal Module opening and closing my garage door via a credit card remote.
The problem is that I have to press the On button to either open or close the door.
I would like to set it up so that a flag or something gets set when the door is open.
Then have it notify me at a specified time via BVC that the garage door is open, and ask if I want to close it.

Is there anyonw out there that can help me set this up?

Thanks

LB

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Garage Door Macro Help
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:58:04 PM »

I currently have a UM506 Universal Module opening and closing my garage door via a credit card remote....
Since most, if not all, garage doors are set up where the button signal toggles from the last direction, reverses, or stops based on the current state of the door, you really need a hardware indicator of the position of the door. The most reliable would be one that detects when the door is fully open.
I use a setup that only  allows X10 to close the door as I don't feel like compromising the security that my garage remote gives me. I've posted more on my setup elsewhere.
Also Dave_X10_L has a setup that works well for him that lets him know via BVC that when his door is open.
I have worked out a macro that would close the door from any position with a setup like yours but it relies on 3 timed signals reliably being sent from AHP. The failure of any of the 3 signals from the macro to reach the Universal Module could result in the door being left open. (You could blindfold me and put a soundproof headset over my head and I could push my garage button 3 times and guaranty that the door would be closed regardless of the starting position the door.)
If you search the forum, you can find more about both of our setups.
Also you can drop by in the evenings to http://bdshost.com/ac/. Dave shows up most evenings.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 08:57:29 PM »

Dave_X10_L has a setup that works well for him that lets him know via BVC that when his door is open.

I haven't ever published my garage door reminder macros (there are 4 macro's). You can see it.. as I use it via a YouTube Video (viewed 1,566 times). Or from a link at my BVC fan Site.

It's NOT a complicated set-up.

It could be added to... to be more like steven r's set-up with an auto close... or a close via voice command. I was thinking of an auto text message to my cell phone if the door is left open.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:58:03 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 02:21:54 PM »

I've split  and moved this thread As Dave_x10_L supplied A working Garage Door Macro I kept Dave's Post in the Working Users macro Section as it is intended for working macros which users can find quickly.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.