Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Various software improvements needed  (Read 5238 times)

David Mark

• Helpful Post Rating: -3
    • Ohio Media Group
Various software improvements needed
« on: December 22, 2004, 06:56:02 AM »

How about these:

• 1.) Remove all of the funky sub-classed controls.  This includes the lousy menus. They don't even look right.  What are you thinking wasteing time on that and breaking keyboard functionality all over the place. For instance the faux "tree" which does not respond to arrow keys.  Just use a standard tree for God's sake.

• 2.) While you are at it, leave the title bar alone as well.  I love it when I double-click your faux titlebar with the funky yellow Spam and it DOESN'T RESIZE THE MISERABLE WINDOW.

• 3.) Forget persisting window sizes and states (especially the main one) between sessions.  You guys have much bigger problems and God knows you can't get it right anyway.  I am almost sure that a resize bug was causing a crash on my system when I closed the app minimized (a typical bugaboo in bad Windows apps.)

• 4.) Proper dialogs with proper dialog controls for editing modules and macros, etc.  Think Windows property sheets.  That is what yours were supposed to look like before someone had the bright idea to mishmash the editing into the "explorer" window.

• 5.) While we are on that.  Stop reseting the device code to "A1" when the on and off radio buttons are pushed.

• 6.) Stop asking if I really want to exit this wonderful program.  Damned right I do.

• 7.) Publish a real SDK.  The objects are there.  Just document them.  Seems like a no-brainer.  Nobody but nobody wants to automate this piece of crap.  They want to BYPASS it (at least on the software end.)

• 8.) The big arrows icon next to the big plus icon in the faux tree has a tooltip that gets out of sync with reality (maybe it always is.)  Hide/show and graphical representation are reversed.

• 9.) For the love of God get rid of that animated door swinging.  That is the cheesiest attempt at glitz that I have ever seen.  Not cool and very annoying to say the least.

• 10.) How about an actual edit menu?  How about more context menu choices (eg rename, activate, turn on, not to mention cut, copy, paste, undo, etc.)  The rename feature is monstrously bad as it is. Trying to get the focus on the textbox is like playing a video game.

• 11.) The annoying question about closing the app must go.  Of COURSE I want to close it! That is why I clicked the close button. BTW, it asks at the wrong time anyway. Your coders clearly have it tied to the faux close button click, which is completely wrong.  I can close the thing from the taskbar with no message at all. Oops.  Even worse (far worse) is the absolutely CRITICAL "save your work" dialog, clearly coded exactly the same way, which results in catastrophe if the window is closed any other way than by clicking your faux close button.  Not to mention that alt-F4 is broken.

And on and on and on...  It occurs to me that this program is about accessibility. Just imagine a disabled or handicapped person trying to use this miserable thing to turn lights on and off?  This is the most INACCESSIBLE Windows app in history. All in the name of looking "glitzy."

[TTA Edit: Combined two posts and formatted for improved readability.]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 07:10:37 PM by TakeTheActive »

David Mark

• Ohio Media Group
Re: Various software improvements needed
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 02:59:50 AM »

The big arrows icon next to the big plus
icon in the faux tree has a tooltip that
gets out of sync with reality (maybe it
always is.)  Hide/show and graphical
representation are reversed.

For the love of God get rid of that
animated door swinging.  That is the
cheesiest attempt at glitz that I have ever
seen.  Not cool and very annoying to say
the least.

How about an actual edit menu?  How about
more context menu choices (eg rename,
activate, turn on, not to mention cut,
copy, paste, undo, etc.)  The rename
feature is monstrously bad as it is.
Trying to get the focus on the textbox is
like playing a video game.

The annoying question about closing the app
must go.  Of COURSE I want to close it!
That is why I clicked the close button.
BTW, it asks at the wrong time anyway.
Your coders clearly have it tied to the
faux close button click, which is
completely wrong.  I can close the thing
from the taskbar with no message at all.
Oops.  Even worse (far worse) is the
absolutely CRITICAL "save your work"
dialog, clearly coded exactly the same way,
which results in catastrophe if the window
is closed any other way than by clicking
your faux close button.  Not to mention
that alt-F4 is broken.

And on and on and on...  It occurs to me
that this program is about accessibility.
Just imagine a disabled or handicapped
person trying to use this miserable thing
to turn lights on and off?  This is the
most INACCESSIBLE Windows app in history.
All in the name of looking "glitzy."

David Mark

• Ohio Media Group
Re: Various software improvements needed
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 11:41:39 PM »

No response?  How about:

"We are going to fix these critical
problems with the interface in a timely
fashion and we are very sorry that we
waited 175 iterations to do so."

Now just copy and paste and post!  What is
with this bunker mentality?  And don't you
dare post another of these:

"We have sent you a private email because
we don't want anyone else to know what the
response was."

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.