Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP Wireless (RF) reception add-ons?  (Read 7658 times)

chuck h.

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP Wireless (RF) reception add-ons?
« on: April 16, 2006, 07:26:57 PM »

Hi all,
    Got an AHP setup at home (CM15a with several wireless, pre-programmed lights and circuits), but it's a rather big home.  I have several different Eagle-eye motion sensors all over the homestead, and there's no "central" place I can put my CM15A to pick up the signals from every one of the sensors.
    Need some advice.  I "think" I need something else to either boost the short range transmission of the RF signals, OR I need another device that'll pick up RF signals and move the X10 commands along the wiring on the other side of the house (it'd be like the RF reception function of the CM15A).

I'm looking for recommendations from the experts.  The $ aren't a problem, because I want it done right.

Let me know when you can.

Thanks,
    chuck h.

EricLEdberg

Re: AHP Wireless (RF) reception add-ons?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 07:21:05 AM »

There are existing plans to extend the RECEPTION range of the CM15a.  I have built an external antenna and can recieve up to about 150-175' away which is common for those who modify and add antennas. 

There are two mods that are common: 

1)  extend the internal antanna cable and re-tune it by extending the internal wiring to it's maximum length and keeping it straight with a straw (don't laugh) or external metal tube.  These get about 40-60' I hear.

2) Add components to extend and add an antenna using 50 ohm coax and a hand-built "x-style" twin-lead antenna.  You can place it centrally located in your house.  I did this in the center of the basement.

This is a picture/plan for the antenna I made:
http://www.shed.com/tutor/mr26ant.html

Remember, this mod requires 50ohm components.

Search these forums for "cm15a antenna" posts or google for cm15a antenna modes if your interested.  There should be a few.

There is also talk about TRANSMIT antenna plans but no concrete plans I have located to date due to the complexity of tuning (remember tuning CB tuning standing waves?).

Eric Edberg

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 04:37:58 PM »

www.accessha.com also has a tutorial with photos on adding the external antenna jack to a cm15a. Some have extended the range by wrapping some wire around the plastic antenna tube and stretching it out. Model shops have small plastic tubing if you want to just stretch the extra wire inside the unit. Note I have seen the newer units not have the added wire just coiled up but hot glued in a 'U' shape inside the cabinet. As always you modify you loose warranty.

DBrian

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:14:03 AM »

Remember any modification to the CM15A voids the warranty.  I use two RR501 transceivers to pick up RF from remote areas and send the signals to the the CM15A via the house wiring.   The only problem I had doing this is -- I had to add a 1 or 2 sec delay in front of macros that are called from the RR501. I suspect this delay is needed to allow time for the duplicate command protocol from the RR501 to clear before the CM15A send out its commands.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 04:11:14 PM »

DBrian; Sounds logical on the delay. Having two X10 signals stepping on each other is a problem. Technically both the RR501 and cm15a are polite and wait for a clear powerline.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 10:06:21 AM »

If you don't want to modify your CM15A and money is no object, people have had excellent results with the V572AB Whole House Transceiver.  It costs $80, but people on this forum have claimed it gives them over 100ft of range (see Fix for RF on the CM15A immediately among other posts).  To my the best of my knowledge, it is the best transceiver available.

chuck h.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 03:41:29 PM »

Thanks a bunch.  I ordered the V572AB Whole House Transceiver and it's on its way.  When I receive, install and configure it, I'm guessing that I just need to turn off the "transceived codes" on the CM15A so that the two don't step on each other.  Is that correct?

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 04:59:54 PM »

When I receive, install and configure it, I'm guessing that I just need to turn off the "transceived codes" on the CM15A so that the two don't step on each other.  Is that correct?

Yes.  That is correct.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.