Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: lights go off then stay on  (Read 5550 times)

just4fn

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
lights go off then stay on
« on: April 19, 2006, 11:48:48 PM »

I am very new to this x10 stuff. I have purchased the activehome pro kit. I have put in a wall switch in the bedroom and the bathroom. I have also installed a motion sensor in the bedroom and bathroom.  When motion is detected the lights turn on for a second, then turn off then on again and stay on. It happens in both the bedroom and bathroom.  Is this normal? I don't know if it matters but I also have a night time vs a daytime macro set up for dimming at night when motion is detected. Its just kind of annoying to have the lights flash. Thanks for any suggestions and help, Doug

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
Re: lights go off then stay on
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 11:57:05 PM »

Just a guess...   you have a CM15A interface and AHP program you are using? and you also used the TM751s that came with the system?

try not using the TM751 in the setup?
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

just4fn

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 01:19:03 AM »

I am not using the tm751 in the set-up. I dont really know exactly what you mean. I am using it upstairs so the motion detector will work. If I dont use it plugged in upstairs the rf isn't read downstairs. Being plugged in, is that what you mean by using it in set-up?
Thanks for any advice, Doug

Mystyx

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • eye see you
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 03:00:58 AM »

Its not normal to have that happen.

Being plugged in, is that what you mean by using it in set-up?

yes, do you use anything except for the CM15A interface? a repeater or a transceiver TM751. (of course hardware plugged in)
A TM751 can be a pain while in use with the CM15A.

it could be (lots of things ) in your macros or signal distance. do you have a phase coupler to help transmit over the powerline phases?

with macros, try simple and add to it.
Anything is Possible, NOW!! But What can I afford?!
I Can't Afford Time, cause Money is so Important!!

just4fn

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 10:57:44 AM »

I removed the tm751 and put it downstairs and put the cm15a upstairs. that has fixed the "blink".  I have also noticed which I posted in troubleshooting that when the nighttime macro runs, my lights dim but when motion is sensed, the lights will brighten to 100% then dim again to the macro level of 40%. this goes on repeatedly as you walk around the room. I am using a wall switch with an eagle eye motion sensor. can anything be done abut this? Thanks for the help, Doug

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 12:05:48 PM »

just4fn

The action you now describe is normal, since you have programmed an "absolute" level of 40%. X10 "standard' lamp module and wall switch can not come on at a preset level. Hence the CM15 sends an ON command followed by a prescribed number of DIM commands to get the light to 40%.

There is a work-around of using "relative" dimming. Change your macro to BRI by 40% on the ON trigger from the motion detector and DIM by 100% on the OFF trigger from the motion detector. By doing this the module never actually turn the light off, but rather simply dims it to a dark state. That allows you to use the relative BRI command to bring it up to the 40% state. You will also have to turn on the light and DIM to 0 each evening, to get the light to the desired standby state. Other wise a power failure or some locally turning the lamp off will put the light in the off state and it will not respond to the series of BRI commands.

I no longer use AHP and don't remember where the relative commands are found when building the macro. If this is clear as mud, holler for help and maybe someone can give you the actual macro steps.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10 Pro

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 12:08:32 PM »

If you have the Smart Macros plug-in you can use a flag condition to make the macro not re-trigger for a period of time to keep the motion sensor from triggering the macro over and over, and another macro to clear the flag when there's no motion. Example, if your macro is triggered by M1:

M1 On Trigger
If Flag 1 is not set
Lights On to 40%
Set Flag 1

M1 Off Trigger
Clear Flag 1
Lights Off

The motion sensor will send M1 Off when there's no more motion, which will clear the flag and allow the macro to re-trigger.

just4fn

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 12:13:27 PM »

If I understand correctly will this ever turn the light back off if no motion is detected or do you have to turn it off by hand?

X10 Pro

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 12:16:43 PM »

Your motion sensor sends an Off command after a period of time (which you can set -- see the motion sensor instructions) of no motion. You can use this off command to trigger the second macro (M1 Off Trigger in my example) to turn your lights off, or you could turn them off by hand, or with a remote control.

just4fn

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 05:28:21 PM »

I have the smart macro plug in. i need to know which macro to use- condtion wizard,simple interface, advance interface. Can you help me step by step on the making of this macro with flags?

I want to after 11:00 pm when I walk into the room the lights go down to 40% and stay there until no motion is detected and then they go off. After 6:00 am the light will be at 100% when I walk into the room and stay there untill there is no motion.

Is this an easy macro?
Do I assign flags to the macro then another macro is made to that flag?
Thanks fot the help, Doug

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 05:44:28 PM »

just4fn:  I think this link should tell what you want to know: Re: Creating a Macro to set a Lamp Module to a specific Brightness.  You will need to change the time conditions and the brightness to be set, but other than that it should work for you.

X10 Pro

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 06:05:56 PM »

That link will help. The screenshot there is using the Advanced macro view.

just4fn

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 10:12:30 PM »

The macro works.
correct me if I'm wrong.
1.next to the trigger there is on and off. Is that for the on status and off signal for the motion sensor?

2. Clearing flags- does that mean turning them off?
just trying to understand a little better.

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 12:00:12 PM »

correct me if I'm wrong.
1.next to the trigger there is on and off. Is that for the on status and off signal for [from] the motion sensor?

Correct.

2. Clearing flags- does that mean turning them off?

Also correct.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.