Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Abyssmal Range with Slimfires and Credit Card Remotes  (Read 18235 times)

ultradianguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Abyssmal Range with Slimfires and Credit Card Remotes
« on: August 14, 2006, 12:12:06 PM »

Hi - I have a TM751 plugged in in my garage to pick up signals from motion detectors around the driveway area.  The reception range is great with the palmpads. 

However, it seems to pick up motion detectors only within about 10 feet through the closed garage door.  Worse yet, the slimfires and credit card remotes don't work even if I'm standing right next to (outside) the garage door - probably 5 feet from the TM751.  The only time I've gotten the slimfire to work was in the house, standing 5 feet from the TM751, with nothing inbetween.

Is this normal?  If so, these little remotes are essentially worthless.  They have the factory batteries in them - if these are weak, could that cause the problem?

I've read in various places all kinds of modifications to the TM751s - but I really don't have time for messing with the circuitry on such an inexpensive device.

Thanks,
Michael

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
Re: Abyssmal Range with Slimfires and Credit Card Remotes
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 10:45:07 AM »

There are 3 classes of X10 remotes: 6V (i.e. PalmPad and universal remotes), fat 3V (i.e. motion sensors and old keychain remotes) and slim 3V (i.e. SlimFire, Credit Card Controller and Slimline Switches).  The 6V remotes obviously have the best range as they have more oomph but for some reason the fat 3V remotes seem to have a much better range than the slim 3V remotes.  From my experience, the slim remotes seem to transmit the strongest through the back (the large flat side) of the remote.

If you are wanting better RF range, many people have had great success with the V572AB from WGL & Associates.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 03:46:59 PM »

As  roger1818 stated  and I've found my self "the slim remotes are next to useless"!
Next issue The Garage Door: Is it metal? ???
If this is the case changing the transceiver won't help. (much, especially if it is kept in the same location) ::)
Try moving the TM751 to a location that isn't blocked by a large metal object. Also search on here for RF interference for other causes ;) :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 03:51:03 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

roger1818

• Helpful Post Rating: 28
  • Roger H.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 09:18:54 AM »

Anyone know how to improve them ?

I haven't heard of any projects to improve the Slimfire or Credit Card remotes, but I have seen projects on how to improve the reception of your transceiver which in turn will improve the range of the remotes.  Which transceiver are you using?

If you want really good reception, many people have had excellent results with a V572AB by WGL & Associates.  For more information about this see the thread MS14A RF range.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 09:27:29 AM »

...If you want really good reception, many people have had excellent results with a V572AB by WGL & Associates.

CAR!!!

See: « Reply #1 on: 2006-08-21, 10:45:07 » this thread ;)

GAME ON!!!  :) (a little Canadian humour here)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 09:55:45 AM »

If you want really good reception, many people have had excellent results with a V572AB by WGL & Associates.  For more information about this see the thread MS14A RF range.

The V572AB works great with standard X10 signals. Security modules won't work with the V572AB. >:(
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 01:22:39 PM »

I have a sending problem concerning Slimfires and Credit Card Remotes.
"standing in front of the door and then they still don't work.".

I have been getting range in excess of 100 feet with the Slimfire remotes now that I am using the V572AB. Before installing the V572AB my range was less than 20 feet. I have yet to find an area within my house where either a motion sensor or a Slimfire will not work. Before the V572AB I had 5 transceiver modules located throughout the house just to get my motion sensors working. Now I have none.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 07:06:09 PM »

(Covers head with metal pot) I to had problems with the Slimfires and credit card remotes. Then I got the V572AB and the problem went away. Thats how we got them to work better. (runs to go hide) ;D

(peeks from around corner) ;) I don't have anything to measure RF signal strength from them but I would guess they are much less then the Palm Pad. Is there any ham radio people out there? I would guess they have a meter. Also the internal antenna has to be an issue. I don't think you can beef that up and still keep the remote small.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 09:02:39 PM »

(Covers head with metal pot)

.... or just hold the remote to your uncovered forehead  :D

I can't say I tried this, but according to National Geographics Channel's "Mad Labs" this increases a car FOB's distance.  ;D

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 09:12:48 PM »

OK Fine! We all agree that the V572AB is a thing that is particularly welcome and timely, as if sent by God.

So, why don't we forget about the V572AB for the moment, and address the Slimfires and Credit Card Remotes ?

Any ideas on how to make them work better ?

Drill a small hole in your garage door.  Glue the remote to the inside of the garage door with the button facing the hole.  Poke a stick through the hole to push the button.    ;)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

vhoang

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
    • Automation Tips & Mini DLLs
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 06:17:31 PM »

oh oh..  has anybody suggested using the V572AB.    Because that will fix your problem.

"So, why don't we forget about the V572AB for the moment, and address the Slimfires and Credit Card Remotes ?

Any ideas on how to make them work better ?"

Or you can by two SR731, glue one to the back of the Slimfire & leave on somewhere between the TM751 & the garage door.   That way you can keep the slimfire and the TM751 and still have it work.

TM751 - RF Repeater | garage door | Car | Inverter | RF Repeater | slimfire remote.   It will help out alot.

or get a neat-o whole house recever that can pick up signals from nearly 100ft away from any x10 remote.   
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 07:42:44 AM by vhoang »

bmiller91

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 04:43:11 PM »

Necro! Would love to find mod for improving transmission power of slimline remotes. 

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 05:25:29 PM »

Necro! Would love to find mod for improving transmission power of slimline remotes. 
It's highly unlikely that you can find a (legal) method "for improving transmission power of slimline remotes."

The FCC forbids modifying transmitters or their antennas. You best hope is to improve reception of your TM751, RR501, CM15A, etc. See...
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.